Compost 110 (sifting)

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

This is how I work my 2 bins,I put a screen on top of a stand I made,then sift through,flip the material too big for the screen to the bin on left,it is were I have been putting my greens from the lawn.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

One load.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

You know you have good worms,when they scare you.I thought I had dug up a garder snake home.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

What size hook do you put that bait on?

Adam.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow, rootdoctor! I've never seen compost worms that large! Your compost looks great.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

With worms like that you have to be doing something right! Must mean they are liking the environment! did you buy the worms or did they just show up?

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Kathyjo,first I would buy a few nightcrawlers to go fishiing,then any left over would hit the pile,a year or so later,I found a man in Payola selling worms,so I got a Lbs,they have done a bunch of multiplying,and have spread all over the yard also.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I believe that I have happy nightcrawlers as well in my flower bed. Amazingly big worms. Almost startling if you turn over a shovel full of dirt and see one of those guys.
Some escapees from fisherman before I moved to this place I think.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL!Kathyjo,Mine are scary too,ask Brugie,I took her some compost,and I think she was happier to get some of my worms!!!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Sounds like Brugie scored! I put lots of composted and almost composted cow, sheep and goat manure on my flower beds mixed in with the mulch. Seems to make these big guys a happy home.
Where does Brugie live that he/she is close enough for you to be hauling compost.?

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

She is only about 2 1/2 to 3 hours north of me,not a bad drive,wish I did not have to work,I would go up for her get together,it's too bad you are so distant,I would like to meet with you also,everyone I have met from Daves has been great!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Root, I really don't live so far away either. I'll let you know if I am ever over that way.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Ok Katyjo,I will have to look up where you are too,would be nice to get out of the city for a drive someday.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Sounds good. !

St. Petersburg, FL(Zone 10b)

Question,

How long does it take you to compost a pile? How hot does yours get?

When I was building my piles (I use a tumbler now--city got on my shorts about composting within the city limits) my piles would go right up to 150-160 degrees. Turned and lightly water once per week the cook would be done in 2 months about. I think my piles would be too hot for worms.
Olds

BTW they are great looking worms!

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Olds,I am down to one bin right now,I have been keeping the worms happy,I am about to set up my other bin,I need to get ready for fall leaves.I may move them across the yard.I hate to waste this concrete pad,I am thinking Hoophouse.
It takes around 2 months for a full bin to get ready for me.
Root.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I live on a farm, so don't worry about what the neighbors think. My compost turner is a 5610 Ford tractor with a hydraulic westendorf scoop. I love this thing. Clean out the barn, dump the scoop of poop over the fence.
So anyhoo, this means I have lots of greens , not many browns. Hmmmm, so crazy me is out tearing up newspapers or bringing home shredded paper from work. I really don't turn as much as I should, but do try to keep it moist when I water my garden, flowers, herbs, tropicals, I'm a plant nut like a lotta other people here.
A couple of years ago I had hauled some cattle in the stock trailer, fully intended to get the manure cleaned out, but instead had a friend in town that needed leaves hauled off. Couldn't resist the browns , you know. came home with moist leaves on the top of fresh manure and once again, got distracted. Thought maybe a few days later I better get busy and clean house the trailer. The steam rolling out the top was my first clue. It was a cool fall day, I started out with a flannel shirt on and that didn't stay on long. Whew! steam was rolling outta there. Never did think I was going to get it unloaded. Wish I had had a thermometer to see how hot it was.
but, back to how long it takes. Never really pay much attention. Some piles seem to do better than others. One pile is mostly sticks that I need to add some greens to. It will get there eventually.
For me there is the whole, if it's cattle manure I work a little harder than if it's sheep or goat. sheep or goat manure is add as is. Wonder pellets. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.