Japanese Maple shape

BELFAST, United Kingdom

Hi
I'm new here but have just waded through past topics to try and get some ideas on this query with no luck, so hope some of you might have the answer.

I have a lovely container grown purple JM (possibly the dissectum variety) which is now around 3-5 years old I would think. Until this year it had suffered badly by being kept in a yard with my cats, one of whom used it for his toilet, so once I realised that was the most likely reason for it's constant decline each year, I moved it to my front yard where it's now safe from all such assaults. I had been initially under the impression that these trees shouldn't be pruned, but because this one had grown so strangely in shape I decided to take a chance and it's certainly paid off in much more vibrant growth already this spring. However, it tends to grow upwards more than outwards, and I was really hoping to have it in the more traditional 'floppy' shape - I'm only now realising that some types will never grow that way but wondered whether the container has any influence on the eventual shape?? It's currently in a typical coned pot (wide top/narrow base) and only around a 12 inch diameter so again, I figured perhaps it should be repotted - also, when is the best time to do that - spring or autumn given that I'm in the UK??

Any pointers/links for info as well would be wonderful. I've no pics of it unfortunately and it would take me some time to get one but if you really need to see it to give suggestions that's fine - can sort that out one way or t'other!

Thanks in advance.
TR
Belfast N. Ireland U.K.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

If it is a dissectum (which should be easy to tell from the leaves), then chances are its natural shape is a "mushroom" shape. The only upright dissectum is 'Seiryu'.

Sounds like you probably have something like 'Bloodgood' or something similar to it if it is red and upright. Regardless, a Japanese maple's habit should not be impacted by the type of container it is growing in.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'd say repotting it now or in the fall shouldn't be a problem. Digging up and moving plants (from the ground) would be much more stressful. I don't think it would be too much stress on it to re-pot it now or later. Sounds like it would love a bigger container :)

As to the shape, yes...it sounds like you have the more upright growing type. You might be looking for something more in the line of the 'weeping' variety...like mine (See photo on this link): http://davesgarden.com/t/380164/

I think the weeping variety is much nicer if you must grow it in a container. I've seen large specimens in containers in another city where I sometimes go on vacation. They look really nice. I suppose it depends on your situation, what 'look' you want to go for and what you like best.

I prune mine year round, if it needs it. Of course, the new growth won't come until the next growing season so I don't count on seeing new growth as a result of pruning. I do sometimes get a little new growth later in fall...but it's not much...and I don't want it to be much because it'll likely get frozen and killed off if it's not hardened up before winter.

BELFAST, United Kingdom

Ahhh - now THAT'S what I want. So what is the 'weeping' variety called when it's at home then??? To my knowledge mine was supposed to be the 'Atropurpureum' type, but I'm really not at all sure what I actually did get in all honesty. But the picture showed the typical 'weeping' type and that's what I keep waiting for mine to do, only it seems determined to go upwards and outwards. Mind you, that may partly be my fault too as I stupidly tonned on some Miracle Gro the first year or two I had it which definitely pushed it upwards alright - that's why I ended up having to prune it as it was all top straggly.

But thank you all SO much for that valuable input as it's a favourite tree of mine and I really want to do the best for it and with it. Nice to know that pruning and repotting aren't big issues to worry about.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hmmm....maybe it WILL start to 'weep' after it gets a little bigger?...not sure. But if that's what the picture showed, maybe it will. I have another like the picture I showed you, but it's much much smaller and it's already got the 'weep' to it. It's about 2.5 feet tall. If yours has a central leader going straight up and not trying to bend a little...maybe you didn't get the kind I have. Wish I could be of more help. Good luck.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I keep meaning to take pics of trees at two of my neighbor's homes. One is the most awesome and huge mushroom shape, with a trunk bigger than my thigh. The other has a trunk about half that size but is spreading and sort of weeping and pretty much flat on top. I know they have done many things to influence it's shape. I wonder if them being Japanese has anything to do with it. :) Maybe they know something about Japanese Maples that the rest of us missed?

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

The following web sites may be of help in planning to prune/shape your Japanese Maple.

http://www.sabot.org/articles/maple.html

http://www.mountainmaples.com/

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/jgard/

I couldn't copy the article URL so you will have to locate the specific article within the site URL but it will be apparent when you get there. I found them very helpful.

edit - corrected spelling [can't spel anymore - old age :-)]

This message was edited Sunday, May 11th 8:35 PM

BELFAST, United Kingdom

Hi all
Well - discovered two things recently - firstly I don't have the weeping variety - I've got the Atropurpureum one that goes upright and secondly - don't think it likes me too much as it's just died a very sudden death!!! Sudden enough that I swore someone had poured something into the tub and killed it off, but highly unlikely. The leaves just seemed to suddenly all shrivel up and go orange and it now just looks dire. I've taken a photo of it and when I (ever) get them developed will post them up here in the hope that somebody might perhaps shed some light on this sudden demise. Real pity as it was looking superb - if anthing, the best ever, so this has been a real shock to me. However, I'm also now about to buy the Dissectum variety which is apparently the weeping type and perhaps copes better with a tub into the bargain.

I'm unsure what to do now with this poor baby - whether to just let it go on to die a natural sort of death, or prune it down hard to get rid of whatever has caused this if it's disease maybe. Any suggestions on that one? Do my best to get the pics up soon.

THanks
TR

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.