Are lambs curious?

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Hi all! I was out for a walk today. I've started to fall into the habit of going out on a Sunday to the North York Moors (there's a bus that goes out into the moors locally during the summer months). And today's walk was in Farndale, a pretty dale with thousands of wild daffodils. Today the daffodils were almost over so I decided to take a route back that went over farmland.
Through fields of sheep and lambs to be exact. My they're noisy! All around me cries of BAA! and MAA! I went fairly slowly, partly so as not to disturb the animals. And the lambs were very curious about me. A group of four of them wandered up to about 6 feet off me and took a good look. I wondered if they were after food. The sheep in a nearby village are ridiculously tame and approach tourists for food. The sheep in some of these villages graze all over communal village greens, or over the moors themselves.
These particular lambs were fenced in though. I took a good look back at them, eventually telling them, "Sorry, I've got no food". At that they turned tail and ran away! The same thing happened in the next field, again a group of four who approached me. Lamb gang size?
Did they think I was a farmer come to give them food? These lambs are starting to get big now, and eating solid food such as turnip in addition to good old Mum.

This thread has 26 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!