dreaded Vine Weevils

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

We had 2 days of rain over Sunday and Monday and noticed two of my Geraniums still wilted. They had Vine Weevils in the soil that had eaten eveything and were actually in the main stems of the plants. so ...

I ordered Vine weevil nematodes from http://www.greengardener.co.uk/weevil.htm and treated everything last night. I hope it kills every little bugger LOL

'tis very easy to use. Mix the dryish nematodes in 1 gallon of water and stir well to break up the lumps. Add 2 pints of the mix to 2 gallons of water and water all plants and wash in with an equal amount of water. All grubs will die within 2 weeks

I couldnt sleep last night with the crys of the vine weevil grubs. muhahahaha

As a precaution I dosed my Pelargoniums also

Let this be a lesson to one and all

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I used to think this was only a problem for plants in pots, but my brother has trouble with them in his garden in Cambridge. He gardens organically and has found those nematodes really enjoy munching their way through the little grubs - yum yum!
Lick their lips and come back for more

LOLOL Both forums!!
;)

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

That was really funny - I couldn't make out why my reply wasn't coming up - but I was posting to the wrong forum - took me a while to figure out they were the same *G*

Ivinghoe Beds, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Here's a solution for weevils in pots.

Last year, I got masses of little crawly things in my pots of chives. Maybe weevils, who knows? So...

I dunked the rootballs in a tub of water for a week.

The chives loved it. (I'd probably been dehydrating them, anyway.) All the crawly things died.

I re-potted the chives, and they grew magnificently. Pest-free.

Could this be a simple remedy - for any root-pests in container plants?

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I have read about this but only in relation to Cranefly larvae Leatherjackets. I dont think my Geraniums would/could stand for a week in water but I do know that leatherjackets will leave a pot after only a few minutes

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.