Plastic trays for greenhouse plants

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

I've been potting my seedlings into 5oz paper cups with holes punched in the bottom and computer printed labels pasted on each. I needed plastic trays to hold the cups since they wouldn't stand alone on the wire mesh. I needed at least 40 of them. I went to a commercial nursery nearby and they wanted $1.50 ea. for the small trays (.05 worth of plastic!). I stopped off at a retail chain garden shop and found that they were throwing away the trays after the contents were sold. I made my needs known and now, after four trips on different days, I have almost 100 trays. All the 4" pots are now in trays and all the paper cups are in trays. The open bottom trays were a god-send for bottom watering the cups. They fit easily into a bottom of a seed starting tray and make watering so much easier. It also makes it so much easier to move the plants outside to harden them and then return them to the greenhouse, cutting the time in half to do that task. I guess it pays to ask. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. (It also pays to have friends in high places :-) I power spray the trays to physically clean them and then dip them into a strong bleach solution and let them air dry before using them. Then I go back to my residence with a smirk on my face :-)

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

thats funny that you say one mans trash is anothers treasure...lol..we own a trash company and this how i got all mine...along with all the 4 inch pots that the annuals and such come in..i just luv this time of year...the only time i buy a pot is when i see one at a yard sale or a local junk store...lol.....:)

cindy

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I personally can say I have never bought a plastic pot or flat. I have some friends in the landscape business that are happy to save them for me. And friends & neighbors are glad to give them to me, they hate waste too. Here's another way to get them.

http://davesgarden.com/t/379623/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.