i got compost

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

This weekend the pony league was taking $10.00 donations for a truck load of leaf compost. You load as much as you want-dh filled it to the top! ;)
My dh went and got me 3 loads that totaled about 7yards of compost for $30.00.
here is the Nutrient analysis-tell me if you think it was a good deal!
N % 1.09
P % 0.19
K % 0.73
CA % 4.86
MG % 1.13
NA % 0.03
S % 0.15
FE ppm 8801
ZN ppm 177
MN ppm 177
CU ppm 31
B ppm 23
AL ppm 6563
It looks really nice! :)
ive never used it before but want to add it to the new daylily bed-any thoughts or comments appreciated!!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Dori
Did this come from a municipal composting site?
If so be careful of a high salinity count, many goverment agencies use salt trucks to transport compost and the residue gets into the compost. Most municipal compost has a Ph of around 8.0 so be careful using it on acid loving plants.
Just found this info out last month from our extension agent..

Paul

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

paul i did a check it was hauled by double tandums not the salt trucks!!!
It should be ok i thinks! :)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

That's a great price!

I got a cubic yard (closer to 2, truth be told) of mushroom compost yesterday (I paid close to $30 for one load.) But it goes quite a ways - I topped off all my raised vegetable beds, and scattered the remainder in a new (unplanted) wildflower patch, and mixed it in with the rotting leaves.

I liked it so much I'm hoping to go back for a second load tomorrow to finish the wildflower beds and amend the really nasty clay in a flower/herb bed that stretches alongside my vegetable garden plot.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

There's a down side to living in ever-green, mild-climate Northern California -- out here we pay $22/cubic yd for good compost!! That's a great price you paid.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.