Wisteria leaf bud or flower bud?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This Wisteria was about three years old when I got it and I guess I have had it 2-3 years. I know time will give me my answer, but I am wondering if these are leaf buds or flower buds?? I don't remember it looking like this last year.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Yo!!! You Got Buds!!!!!!

I just love how the buds look like little (or big) eggs. My wisteria has giant flowers like this one. Looks like you may have blue. Can't really tell. Congratulations!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Lucky you! Sure looks like a bud to me. Keep us posted!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Really??? Really??? LOL I keep expecting stems and leaves to pop out of there. Secretly inside I keep hoping it is flowers. It was a nice sized vine when it was mailed to me. I have a white one at one corner of my deck and this one at the other corner. Looking forward to a nice pergola covered in wisteria someday. :)

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Badseed.....they are called spurs on a Wisteria! Mine is full of them already! oodles of them! E.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Mine have bloomed and leafed out. Waiting for the lones in the shade to bloom also. Divided mine out last year and they all made it.

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Badseed,

My wisteria is 2 and it was full of blooms and lots of new growth. I know that Calif is earlier than where you are, but you just wait and see all the growing power these wonderful plants have! I saw a white one at our nursery and just drooled over it. Maybe I gotta have one of those too! :-))

bronson, IA(Zone 4a)

Badseed--yes those are buds--last year i bought 2 small wisteria trees that had buds on them and no leaves then the leaves came later and the blooms--i had to see one bloom--i have 3 wisteria vines that have not bloomed since the 4 years i have had them--but boy do the grow

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Cottosnag, it can take up to seven years for a wisteria to bloom.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, nice bloom buds. I lost my wisteria vine that was growing up the 4 x 4 post at south edge of my deck. I lost quite a few things last year from the hard freeze we had April 23, several trees that were just leafing out, all my soft fruit bloom, and other things. So far this year have escaped a severe freeze. Did get cold enough to kill all my apricot blooms on one tree, the other has a few tiny apricots that I hope will make it. I must send a picture of my wisteria bonsai. It is just ready to bloom. I took it to the bonsai talk i gave at Senior Center Wed. It has probably 50 bloom clusters. Hope it is fragrant too. Donna

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I don't have any great pictures to offer since I have yet to put in a proper post and/or pergola. But alas it blooms. :) Here are just a few.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

My DS sent me some Wisteria seeds and they are sprouting :)

My question is will they produce any flowers or blooms this year? Or, is it a vine that will require some years before I can expect to harvest any seeds from it?

Also, what are the best conditions with regard to sunlight for these vines?

Thanks for starting this thread, Seed!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

As far as I know, the general rule of thumb, expect to wait some seven years for blooms. :( I have heard laying or planting bananas can get them to bloom faster, also root pruning can encourage them. I have not done well with seed grown ones. This one was from a trade with a sweetie in GA.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Ah, yes, now that I read for "content" (LOL), I see where it can take 7 years ~ yikes!

Your bloom is gorgeous, Badseed!

Donna, do you mean you lost the blooms on your wisteria with the freeze last year, or the whole vine?

DS sent me a teenie-tiny vine with some seeds & I was curious if I should wait longer before planting the vine outside. The seeds are germinating ~ it's so exciting!!!

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

My Wisteria is 9 years old,,bloomed a little last year for the first time. This year we had freaky weather in March...80 degree days for about a week..and everything thought it was summer and began to grow, then in April we had a hard freeze,,a couple of times. Here it is the middle of May and I have no signs of life on my Wisteria. Every day I check it, and convince myself to give it a little more time. The stem isn't brittle, or breakable. What do you think guys??? Have I lost my Wisteria?? I'm zone 5a.

MossRose

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Do you have any signs of leaves or buds or new stems? Mine seemed to leap to life overnight. It bloomed as soon as it leafed out. I would think you should give it more time, being that you are a zone cooler than me.

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

I will give it more time Bad...I can't bring myself to dig it up anyway...after 8 years I'm rather attached to it,,even if it has bloomed but once. I don't see any sign of anything on it at all....but I'll wait a little longer.

MossRose

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

MossRose,
I just planted a root cutting off of a mature wysteria about three weeks ago. Just today did I notice a little itty bitty leaf set starting to pop out of the side of the small trunk. Give it some time, and please be patient -- it will come back! Wysteria is a very hard vine to kill.

P.S. A little Miracle Grow helped mine! Also note, that this cutting was potted over winter and kept outside at my dad's house in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 3rd 10:39 PM

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Well, I gave up on the vine and dug it, and it was indeed dead. I've replaced it with an Clematis Sweet Autumn. I don't think I'll try another Wisteria in my cold zone. It's too disappointing.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Awww...too bad dear moss.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am sorry MossRose. I think I got lucky with mine. They lay that mailed it to me, had it rolled up like a big wreath when she mailed it. I was shocked! I bet it was 8-10 feet long when I got it. The flowers have come and gone and now I have the tiniest little seed pods forming. LOL Off hand, I don't know how hardy they are but maybe you will try again. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.