Luninaria (Money Plant)

Mohnton, PA(Zone 6a)

I started Luninaria from seeds. They are going too tall and thin. What am I doing wrong? Since this picture, they have grown 2 inches taller. (The onces on the left.) How do you stop them from getting taller so they can become thicker? Apparently, I should have bought the plants. :/

Little Dutch (Carol)

Thumbnail by LittleDutch
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

If you have them under grow lights, it looks like they need to be closer to the light. Many seedlings will grow tall and lanky in an attempt to get closer to the light.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I hope someone comes along with an answer. I have tried last year too and had the same problem and then they all just kinda died away.

Mohnton, PA(Zone 6a)

Closer to the light, huh? Might be too late for this year. Plants falling over. Will attempt again next year. Never once thought about distance to the light....

Thanks!

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

LittleDutch - - go ahead and get them as close to the light as you can. Or if you have mild weather - - put them in the sun. Some of my larkspur did the same thing, but most pulled out of it once I got them in the sun.

Don't get discouraged. Gardening is trial and error. Every year, I have at least one flub. Nat

Mohnton, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Nat. Will do.
LD

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Try tossing the seeds outside in fall, and letting them overwinter the natural way. They like to re-seed on their own. If you are really desperate for plants, let me know. I have tons of seedlings popping up everywhere.

naturepatch

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I was just going to suggest the same thing naturepatch - or to sow them outside in June, preferably where they are to grow to avoid having to transplant them.
Mine selfseed each year, I just leave them to get on with it. They sometimes choose quite bizarre places to grow :)

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I started mine early last spring(2002) and actually I was disappointed when all I got was the green foilage. I had already decided that if they didn't bloom this year, I was going to yank them outta there! But they did bloom and right now they are really showing themselves! So I am guessing they are bienniels right?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Bienniel yep, probly why I haven't had patience to try em. Molly, let's see a picture of yours in bloom!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

This was taken the other day.

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE

Yes, definitely biennial, but very rewarding viola
Lovely photo MOLLY - here's a plant of mine I photographed yesterday. This is a self sown

Thumbnail by philomel
Mohnton, PA(Zone 6a)

Nice, Ladies! Since no amount of closeness to the light aided my poor plants, I think I'll just plant them as they are and hope for the best. Perhaps if I put a picture next to them, they will take heart and have faith that when they grow up, they can look like Mollybee's and Philomel's. LOL

LD

LD, they're probably just pining after fresh air LOL
Good luck, I do hope they thrive for you

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

LOL LD, let me know if you want some, I have a couple that I could send ya if your's doesn't make it.

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Interesting color variations. Mine are much more purple, though this photo really doesn't do justice to the color.

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Photo didn't come through. Here it is.

Thumbnail by naturepatch

Yes, mine's probably come out a little pinker than in real life, but the colour's not that far off.
My white ones seem to have disappeared this year

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I got some from Molly, I got some...
Thank you Molly dear :D

That's great viola!!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Heee heee Your very very Welcome Vi!
Let me know how they do for you, I have more if you need a replacement.

Mohnton, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Mollybee.... I'll let you know!
LD

virginia beach, VA(Zone 8a)

nature patch,
would you have a few extra to spare i tried sowing some and mine too got really leggy, i thought i could save them but to no avail... :(
plmk if a few could use some room to grow at a new home...
:)
thanks,
cristina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.