Anyone grow Giant Sequoia - Sequoiadendron giganteum?

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Does anyone grow this tree in zone 6? I might want to try one if I feel it's worth the trouble and money. If it'll survive here, that would be a really cool tree to grow.

Info:
http://www.floridata.com/ref/S/sequ_gig.cfm

This message was edited Tuesday, Apr 15th 9:09 PM

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

It should do fine in zone 6 so long as you water it frequently for the first year or two and give it some protection in the winter until it reaches at leat 5 ft in ht. After that it should be able to take your winters just fine. Keep in mind that it will grow to an amazing size and has a shallow root system that can be uprooted in heavy winds so do not plant it within 150-200 feet of a structure. It also will benifit from misting with a hose to simulate the fog it thrives in.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

If I plant one, it will be in really heavy clay which should help hold it in the ground...and also it will be planted in a small "valley" that runs between my property and the neighbors and water naturally runs off down through this area so moisture should be ok until late summer/early fall. It won't be near any buildings. I saw that they "can" get super tall...but some of what I've been reading says it normally tops out at 60' in the east. I hope I can find one...preferably in a pot. This isn't something that you would normally find for sale around here. I know I can order a bare root plant from the National Arbor Day Foundation...but I hate planting bare root plants. Sometimes they do ok, sometimes they don't. Plus the shipping sometimes damages the plant :( Thanks :)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

A member in the SanFrancisco Bay area who takes dat trips into the Santa Cruz Mountains could pick up a potted seedling for you for a few bucks and mail it to you if you can find one.

I have access to the gift shops here that sell the coastal redwood seedlings for about 4-5 dollars.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Zany I would like to get one if possible also,LMK if we can work something out.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I might be interested in one if you can find one...even a small one (6 inches or so...as long as it's healthy). Let me know what you think...and if you know where to find one like that.
Thanks

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

No problem! As soon as we get settled from this move we will be getting back out and about. I'll be glad to pick one up for you. They are not very big seedlings so they should be shippable in a standard priority box. I'll email you when I get it. But be patient since it will probably take a week or two for us to recouperate!

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Ok, thanks :) When/if you find one to ship, try to pack it so the soil won't come out of the pot and also so the plant can't move around to damage it. I'm willing to pay around $20 for a nice healthy plant and shipping combined and maybe a few bucks for your trouble :)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL! No profit please! That would make it a business transaction and require me to set up a store front and all that stuff that I am not into. So lets just keep this a friendly non profit thing :~)

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Ok...just give me a shout when and if you find something.
Thanks

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

But as mentioned, before everyone grabs one, they get HUGE! A normal residential property isn't enough space. It will shade the whole garden and lift the house. If you don't have the space you'll need to hack it back and it will look horrendous. They need parks or open spaces. For people with small properties try S. giganteum 'pendulum'. It has the same foliage, but grows slower and is a super cool plant. I like both of mine the same.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I agree they need space and I also like them better in groups of 3 planted about 4 ft apart so the trunks join when they bet huge.

They like being well watered but that clay soil can be a problem if it doesn't drain well. Even though they grow in the flood plains here the water never sits long and flooding usually only lasts a day or two before it recedes so the roots do not stand in water for too long at a time. Since the ground is very rocky and sandy even with centuries of composted forest duff on the surface.

I'll give you a shout as soon as I pick it up.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hczone6, I planted 3 Sequoiaendrons in a triangle about 6 years ago. They have grown very well. I think I only paid 6 or 7 dollars each for them. I am in zone 5-6. So they should grow for you. Donna

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Great, thanks. I'll have to find an appropriate location. I think I need to move a small Chinese Chestnut before it get's any bigger...and replace it with a river birch. I got to thinking about it and I don't think I'll like that chestnut that close to my house. It won't be close enough to touch, but I want only small ornamental trees or larger trees that have small branches that aren't prone to fall off and come through the roof...lol...like big bur oaks or something like that.

Harvard, IL

I am located North Of Chicago in IL. and would like to know what is the growth rate? How long would it take to get let's say to 20 ft.?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

goldspurr16, I got my 3 Sequoiadendrons (don't know which particular ones they are) locally as I said now 7 years ago. They are now about 20 feet tall. I bought them in 1 gal containers. Forest Farm in Oregon has several varieties. Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.