April 14

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Hello again farmers.
We had company all weekend so things were pretty busy around here. I did manage to get my tomato, squash and some other vegie seeds into flats with the help of one of our guests who wants to learn about gardening. She was happy filling the cell packs with soil and making labels for everything. When I showed her how small cabbage seeds are she was just amazed that it would grow into a basketball sized cabbage! So am I, every year I think of that when I plant them in those little cell packs. Just before company departed for home this morning the power company showed up with trucks, more trucks, and a backhoe to install the new power pole. I had to leave for a dental appointment and was apprehensive to see how the flower bed would look after having a tree removed from the yard to make room for the new line. Just a few footprints and a bit of sawdust.... and no broken plants! I think they lifted the tree to the pasture side of the fence with their boom truck after cutting it off about a foot from the ground. Whew!! I was afraid of a big mess. The new service line goes right over that space. They'll be back tomorrow or someday soon to finish taking down the old power line and the guy pole. A line running across the neighbor's field will also come down, it has been replaced by one going down the road. Years ago they decided to save money on labor and materials by going from farm to farm across the fields, but they learned that when fields are under snow, or during melt down, or when the fields are being irrigated they couldn't get in there with heavy equipment to fix anything. So now they are spending big bucks to re-route a lot of it. (I always think that somebody with no practical experience must have made plans like those).
This afternoon I was going to go for a ride on Breezy but it has been raining and hailing since I got home. I hope tomorrow is better. This morning the hail really came down hard and covered the ground in about 2 minutes. We don't get big hail here, just beebee or pea size usually. The horses run around trying to escape from it, I guess Breezy got a fair amount of exercise today without any help from me.
Have a good evening, count your blessings.

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!