Welcome to the Fruit Trees forum!

By request (http://davesgarden.com/t/378066/ ), here is the Fruit Trees forum!

Dave

Thumbnail by dave
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Pretty quick! Much obliged!

Guess we better make some recommendations for dave/trish's new yard, eh? Preferably something the deer despise.

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Thanks so much Dave! I think it'll be a much used forum. I have so many Q's!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hehe...ask and yee shall receive :)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I too am interested in Fruit trees. Actually my husband and I had an 80 acre apple orchard at the other place before he died. Now I am at this new place, well I've been here about 7 years. I planted 2 cherry trees, 2 apricots, 3 peaches, 4 varieties of raspberries, thornless blackberries, 4 varieties of blueberries. And some others. Should be a good thread. Donna Thanks Dave

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

80 acres of apples! Wow Donna! I bet you've learned a trick or two for us, glad you're here, Dennis

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Rutholive!...YOu best be struttin' your stuff! I bet you know more than any of us! Will be watching!

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

RuthOlive - Donna - Close to you in Oregon. I've got 18 fruit trees - various varieties of pears, apples, plums, and 1 peach - the peach is my concern. All my trees have blossomed and leaved, except the peach. It's just beginning to show buds. What's wrong? (only my second season on this property, and last year the peach tree was quite abundant with fruit) First question of many! Thanks.

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank You, Dave!! Think this is a much need Forum.

Hedy :-))

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

This forum is great but I do have a question..........where would I post questions about fruit bushes and such? I have red currants, gooseberry, raspberry, blueberry, and grape (I know, it's a vine, not a bush....LOL). Just curious which forum I would use to find little hints, tips, whatever for those?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

flow...hehehe...trust me, you can post those here too! I have a white nanking (sp?) cherry BUSH. If you post I'll post! ;>)

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

a cherry bush? Can I grow one of those in a big pot? If so then I'll have to have one.........LOL

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep! If I take cuttings to root I'll let ya know.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

that would be most wonderful!!!!!!! Thanks Shoe :)

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know if walnut trees will kill fruit trees? I've heard this and would like to know as i've purchased about 20 bare root trees and don't want to plant them where they'll die! We just purchased this place last year and just now getting to start any planting, and since i've never planted anything before this site is the absolute best thing i could have found. Thanks for everything!!

Help! We just went wild buying berry bushes! They're all in the ground, and i've done some research, but am wondering about "feeding" currants, gooseberries, honeyberries; and we even have a few jostaberries! So far, all i've found is info on compost & aged manure for mulching and some details about nitrogen and potassium. Seems either too simple or too complicated. Anyone have info on whether or not we should even be worrying about feeding the bushes? Hope this is the right place to ask. I'm brand-new to Dave's Garden. Hi!

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

I don't have any of the berries you've purchased however, i know that someone will be along soon to let you know what to do. I don't think you need to worry about feeding the bushes right away. Did you buy them bare root or not? I think that to be safe i'd stick with good compost, water, and sun. Unless someone can tell you different. You might try posting this question in the parking lot or garden news forums as they get more people looking at them and you might get feedback quicker that way. Welcome to DG I know you'll like it here! Tracy

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hi peonybaby,Welcome!

In my opinion,you need to establish a good root system first.That way they can feed the foliage and topgrowth.Just some compost or aged manure for this season should suffice.

I'm no expert on fruit,but that's the general rules for planting just about anything.Some people say to pinch blossoms the first year so as not to stress your young plants trying to establish themselves.Maybe some of our fruit growers will show up and give us some insight.

By the way,you can go to the right hand column,and where it says 'preferences' in the 'about you' section,you can click on that and set your location and zone so that we can see it under your name.That will help us to tailor information to your conditions.

Welcome again!

CHINA, MI(Zone 6a)

HI ALL, I HAVE A 5 YEAR OLD APPLE TREE, THAT HAS NEVER HAD A APPLE. WOULD ANYONE NO WHY. THANKS KEN

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Ken,
Do you or your neighbours have other apples for pollination? There are so many other possibilities but that's a biggy. How's the soil? Do you get hard frosts during budding? Do you get little fruits dropping off? Diseases?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Good points, dennis. Also, if it is a standard tree it will often take at least that many yrs before it produces.
You could also whip it with a garden hose to shock it...there was a thread on that here somewhere. (I know I know...sounds weird, eh?)

CHINA, MI(Zone 6a)

DENNIS, IT IS A SELF POLLINATING TREE, WE HAVE CLAY SOIL THAT TREES GROW VERY WELL IN. WE HAVE PUT IN 300 TREES IN THE LAST 6 YEARS AND ONLY LOST ABOUT 10. NO LATE FROST THIS YEAR.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP KEN

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Selfing apple, what variety is it? Sounds interesting. I have about 14-15 varieties and none self as far as I know. One thing, probably not it, but most selfing plants self better with another pollinator (I know, doesn't make much sense).

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I have 2 pear trees,one of them looses most of the fruit due to the pears kinda shirveling up then they dry out like little petrified thingys. Got them at Wally World Clearance around 7-8 yrs. ago,name tags missing. Any Ideas ?? Thanks , >^,,^< SB

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

BrandyCat, and others I haven't been to this thread for some time. haven't had much time for computer, too much company. As to your peach tree it would be a help if you knew what variety it is. Some apples and probably some peaches are just normally every other year bearers. Also maybe the bees weren't very active when the peach was in bloom and the blooms didn't get pollenized. Sorry but that is about all the help I can give you.

hillbillieboe, We had two walnut trees very close to apple trees at my other place and I don't think there was any problem. The problem with walnut trees is the chemicals produced, mostly by black walnuts will hinder the growth of plants growing under or very near. English walnuts are usually grafted onto black walnut root stock. Some plants will grow without problems under the trees.

Pondview, Do you know what variety your 5 year old apple tree is. Golden Delicious do not need a pollenator, in fact they are used to polinate other trees. And as someone else said the apple tree would probably have to be more than 5 years old before it begins to produce. Donna

(Zone 4b)

Scooterbug,
Most fruit trees are susceptable to disease. To produce fruit you often need to spray trees regularly with a fungicide/pesticide blend. I use Bonide Fruit Tree spray.
Apples can take a few years to bear fruit. If you want your tree to pollinate get different varieties to help get them going!
Greta

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks rutholive, all of my trees seem to be doing well except for the two sweetnsour cherry trees which I think we planted too close to the black walnut. I'm not sure that is the reason they're not doing well. It could be so many other things. I'm just glad the rest seem to be getting a good start. Thanks, Tracy

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Do any of you grow everbearing raspberries. I have Fall Gold and September. This morning when it is daylight I am planning to go out and prune them. i cut the old stalks to the ground and thin out the new canes to 6 to 8" apart or more. Since there is only me to eat the berries I don't need a whole lot of canes. I will also scatter some Planters 2 and Bio-Grow around them. Probably add some more compost and chip mulch. The Fall Gold one is one of my favorites but not a prolific producer. September will start its fall crop as you might expect in Sept. Love them with yogurt. I could send a few starts for postage if anyone is interested. Maybe our longlasting very hot spell is over for the summer. Hottest dryest longest in 50 years. Donna

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

We should really start a new thread!!! I have been too busy to check up on old threads, and missed all this.

Donna, I have just started fall rasberries but can't help you much yet. I do have fall gold, the berries were dry and seedy, however they are in pots (just bought land to plant them in), I'm hoping it is just the soil in the pots. I've seen that with other fruits so I am optimistic.
Dennis

NORTHRIDGE, CA(Zone 8b)

Not sure if this where I'm supposed to as I am new to this site. but heregoes

I have an ANNA APPLE TREE that I want to keep pruned because I don't want it to grow to big. I have read that this is the time to prune them but have no idea how to do so. Cany you advise me on this.

I am in Northridge, CA I believe it zoned between 8-10

This message was edited Monday, Aug 11th 11:43 AM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy Phoebes! Your first day, eh? Wonderful! A bigtime Welcome to DG. Please, make yourself at home!

Was wondering where you are located. Often-times that info is important in order to give you some proper answers for your region. (If you go to your Preferences page I think that is where you can include your zone and other options, if you like.)

As for your apple tree, I usually prune ours to keep it in more of an "upside down umbrella" shape. Depending on where you are you should either prune lightly at this time if there is still active growth or (if you are in the frigid Countries and your tree is dormant then you can prune more heavily.

Here is a decent site that will possibly help.http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1351.htm

Let us know how it goes! See ya 'round DG!
H.

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

Rutholive would love to have some starts if you'll e-mail me with your addy and how much postage to send. That is if it's not too late and I haven't missed out on it. Tracy

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

RuthOlive - I, too, have not been on the computer for quite some time - too much time spent working, and IN THE Garden!!Thanks for the response - It's true, there have not been many bees this year, and my apple trees also are less fruit bearing - hence, less fruit. Maybe next year. Well, back to work. I'm doing beans and corn - TONS of both. Bye!

Siloam Springs, AR

my blueberry is sick :/
the leaves are getting red spots all over them and i don't know what is up with it?
i just transplanted it into the ground from a pot and now she is sick looking.... any help?

thanks

Freedom, CA(Zone 9b)

Our area, Watsonville, CA 95076, has a bad problem with moss and lichens growing on diciduous fruit trees. Especially apple trees. My neighbor and I both have a nice mix of fruit trees and would like to save them from the spaghnum moss and lichens taking over. But we also love our apricots and have been told that anything used on the apple trees would kill the apricots. I have been searching for information regarding this and even went to the Ortho website for help. But it only has information regarding moss getting into ones lawn. Can you help us?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I would suggest starting a new topic for any questions you've got, so it will get the attention it deserves. Something like "Moss and Lichen after my Apples -- Help!" would get people to read it. ;)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I still have too much snow on the ground so can't even get out to the fruit tree area. Has been that way since mid-Nov. It is getting warmer so maybe the snow will melt enough so that i can see the ground and if there is a problem can also see that.

Donna

Bonita Springs, FL

I have an avocado tree ( Choquette ) that is about 5 years old. In previous years it has borne fruit but this year it did not. Instead, it grew several feet in height and width. It now grows in the shape of a "Y" with two leaders. Should I prune it? If so, when should this be done? I would appreciate any advice.

Marblehead, MA

Hi, can anyone recommend a reliable place to buy a bare root peach tree-- or perhaps other stone fruit, and I'll try grafting later-- ? I'm new at this and didn't realize how fast they would sell out this year!
I didn't see anything specific to fruit trees in the Guide to gardening by mail... I'm in Mass. so have a preference for local providers, but maybe it's too late for that. Fedco is sold out.
thanks, alexis

New York City, NY

Newbie here. I am a long time silent reader here. Just today I finally decided to be part of this great community. I am now an official member. Woohoo! I am a vegan advocate and also an author of some vegan interior design websites just to share my recent blog, it is all about "Top 5 Houseplants That Are Safe for Cats & Dogs" Here is the link https://vegandesign.org/blog/top-5-pet-friendly-plants feel free to read and I am happy to get any feedback from you guys. I love what I am doing and I am happy about this. I am excited to share my knowledge, ideas, and help in this forum (In case you need it) feel free to comment or ask. I am so happy to be part of this forum. Cheers to all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.