How about a fruit tree/orchard forum everyone?

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Would anybody else be interested in trying out a forum about fruit tree care? I'm just getting into it and there is a wealth of info locked up in peoples heads! Most books lack even the basics and I think we could really get something neat.
I must admit.....I will be learning more than offering info, hopefully there are some keeners on the subject of pollination, grafting, disease control, varieties etc etc etc?
If you're intersted leave a note below and Dave will consider it- Thanks, Dennis

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, but I would like to include fruiting brambles and vines .... not just trees.

Love, Lavanda

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I think it's a good idea. We had never really had mature fruit trees to care for until we moved here, and knowing how much/when/what to prune with a large apple tree took a leap of faith!

I'd love to get some ideas on pear and peach varieties for my area...I've been doing some reading in Jere Gettle's premier edition of Heirloom Gardener about pear varieties, and I'm very tempted to order some trees. But I'd like to hear from others before I fill out an order form or dig a hole ;o)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I love our little orchard! By choosing to go with dwarf trees we were able to plant a great number and variety in a very small area. (For example, a standard apple tree is recommended to be planted 30 to 40 feet apart from each other. With a dwarf you can plant them as little as 8 to 12 feet apart.)
I'll have to measure the overall "orchard" area (or take pics) but in minimal space, and effort, we have several apple trees, several peach trees, plums, pears, cherries, figs, serviceberry...I think that is all, will have to check.
I'm not a whiz at fruit trees but can offer suggestions on what I have done and do.

Looks like there is some interest. I'll create the forum.

Dave

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

WOO HOO! And grapes, rasberries... everything would work in it well!!
Thanks Dave!

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have a deep interest in this subject! Have tried to cultivate fruit trees for a few years, but am not too knowledgeable on the topic. Maybe I can learn something here!! Have three Apple trees (standard size), one Damson Plum, and one Peach (if it made it throught this past winter). I keep planting peach trees, but they keep dying on me !! Can good fruit be raised without spraying chemicals?

Am happy to see this forum started...will visit it regularly!! Thank you Dave!

Winnipeg, MB

Very interested. I have a lot to learn.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Doug- there is a "Fruits and Nuts" forum! I never contribute, but I think that's what you are looking for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.