Trellises for vines?

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

What do you use to trellis your vines besides a fence or trellis? I have a few things that need some kind of support to grow on in a perennial garden. Need ideas for something inexpensive and attractive that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

The plants that need support are hyacinth bean, cardinal climber, mina(ipomoea lobata) and sweet peas.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I might try some of the deer netting this year if I can figure out what to use to tie it to. I'd like it to be higher than a steel post would be. It wouldn't show up much. Maybe a 2X2 treated wood type post. Just something I'm thinking about right now. Not in the works just yet. Snow on the ground keeps me from thinking about stuff like this very much. Hope you get more ideas from others so I can read up and maybe use some of those ideas too.

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

Brugie, your post just made me think of something I saw at the Ball Seed Garden in Chicago last summer. I wish I took a picture.

They took a piece of bird netting about 2' wide and a few feet tall. It was tacked to a wooden privacy fence and had a clematis growing on it in a very "arsy" fashion.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I use the 2" chicken wire. Comes in 2 ft. wide rolls. I also use it for my garden peas to climb. I cut off about a 6 ft. length and use staples or small nails to fasten. If you stretch the wire it will be less than 2 ft, just right to fit around a 4 x 4. I have several 4 x 4 , treated and down in the ground about 2 ft. Most have bird houses on top, so a vine of any kind works out well for the flowers and the birds. I have grown clematis, lab lab beans, sweetpeas etc. up the posts that way. Donna

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

My neighbor and I decided to decorate the metal lamp post between our property. We cut strips of chicken wire and wrapped around the pole, shoved one up the pole, and added another more til it almost reached the top, about 30 ft!! Then we planted Hyacinth been vines around the base, it was really pretty, (dh) thought it was tacky!! I just planted more seeds a couple of days ago, maybe this year I will get a picture for you all.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I was at our Revy store the other day and came across this strange stuff....sheets of reinforcing metal with oodles of holes in it...these came in 3' x 4' sheets...they are used to set in cement to strengthen! I bought a couple of them for around $4.98 ea.,........cut them lengthwise with metal cutters into 5-6" wide....the wonderful thing bout this material is you can scrunch them over abours, poles,(eg for Clematis clingers), I wrapped two of them around peeled log poles for my clematis and the others over top molded around the cross pieces on one of my arbours...remember to use leather gloves, when doing this! I see one of the clematis is going for it now! just a thought!...I'll take some photos! E.

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

I have chicken wire and a couple of treated 4 x 4's left over from when we built the deck. And birdhouses are cheap. I think a couple of those would look neat mixed in for height.

In my mind I keep thinking of some kind of tripod for the thunbergia. Maybe a tomato cage?

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I have Micky Moused a teepee of three old rusted reinforcing rods.......in the container or in the ground...I use them for my ramblers(roses), also for a good start! They look neat! E.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.