Naughty caterpillar!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I made my caterpillars a nice little hatchery to protect them until they hatch and I can release them safely. I found a mature black swallowtail caterpillar on my parsley--the first one ever!!!--and couldn't help but bring him in the house to raise him. Wouldn't you know, that little bugger climbed out of his nice little abode and crawled up on a cactus plant I have nearby (drunken sailor is the common name if memory serves) and attached himself. By the time we found him, it was too late to move him. Now it appears I will be forced to remove the branch he's attached himself to so that he can properly dry his wings. Naughty, naughty, naughty little caterpillar!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL BG! Give them and nice home...

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's the long-awaited picture of this naughty bugger. I put the cactus 'cutting' in a pot with some soil and it will hopefully take root.

Thumbnail by ButterflyGardnr
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

The adult was a little more cooperative, at least for picture taking. I only wish I could have gotten one without the netting in the way!

Thumbnail by ButterflyGardnr
Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

OOOH, butterfly, would you be wiling to part with a cutting
of your sailor?

Beautiful plant, beautiful butterfly!

Thanks

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I surely would be happy to give you a cutting of it for postage. Drunken Sailor is the common name, but what is the scientific name? I've actually gotten this plant to bloom for me (it gets tiny yellow flowers on it) a couple of times.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

See here: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/31530/

Such a beautiful thing. And it will do well here.

You should post this pic to the plants database fotos!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hatiora something or other. lol
You can let the end of the node where you cut it off cry first and then it will root easy.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, your naughty caterpillar sure turned in to a beautiful butterfly!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.