Violets

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

A friend has a meadow where she is encouraging wild flowers, though she hasn't introduced any. The ones that grow there have found there own way. There's a fantastic succession of all sorts - orchids, cowslips and at the moment the violets are flowering. I don't think I've ever seen anything like the two large patches in the middle of the meadow!!

Thumbnail by philomel

.....closer

Thumbnail by philomel

.....closest

Thumbnail by philomel

Elsewhere on her land she has navy blue ones and plum purple ones but my camera doesn't capture those colours :(

.....but here are her white ones

Thumbnail by philomel
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

philomel, loved the violets, especially the lavender ones. They must have been pretty happy in the field to grow so well. Seems like they should be quite fragrant too. Nice pictures. Donna

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Reminds me of the little meadow I treasured so much as a girl. It was my "quiet place" when I needed to be by myself. There was an old tree stump that I would sit on and ponder about the world. It would be covered with birdsfoot voilets in the spring. thanks for sharing!

Yes, rutholive, they have a delicate sweet scent, but you need to get on your hands and knees to enoy it.

ButtreflyGardnr, this field is sanctuary too :) A lot of world pondering goes on here!

Philomel

Do you know what species the blue violets are?

I've always assumed they're V rivianana, but haven't looked closer - will do so and let you know. They're 10 miles away so this may take some time lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.