Poppy Question

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Got an Anniversary present of 2 lb. of poppy seeds from Wildseed Farm (the man knows what I love aside from him!) It's been warm here in 6a. If I put out the seeds now in them meadow I've prepared, what happens if we have a freeze? I don't want to blow this chance. If I should have posted in propagation, just le me know and thank you.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

dohopp, don't know what kind of poppies they are, but almost any poppy (papaver) will germinate best when weather is cool. I planted my seeds about 10 days ago, and we have had several frost nights. They haven't germinated yet and I am having to irrigate as we haven't gotten any rain to speak of and it has been quite windy. Anyway i should think you could plant anytime, rather that wait until it is too warm, then they will not germinate very well. Donna

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Dohopp, I only have experience with corn poppy (Papavar rhoes) in this regard, but I sow mine in late summer, to germinate and over-winter. They thrive the following spring, and they flower better than those that sprout in the spring.

The Iceland poppies that I attempted in this manner died during the winter. I haven't tried it with any other annual poppies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.