Fleck Stone Paint for Containers

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Has anyone used Fleck Stone Paint to refinish plant containers?
I had several old white containers that were stained beyond repair. So I brought some Fleck Stone stray paint and clear coat spray finish. I am pleased with the results, especially since I was going to throw away the containers anyway. But I was wondering if anyone had used this product and if the new finish would hold up for at least a season.

I haven't used the Fleck Stone Paint but have painted pots before and but a couple coats of sealer on them and then letting them 'cure' for at least 72 hours before placing outside to the weather conditions.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I have wondered if it would work on outdoor items. I'll be interested in following this thread to see who else has tried it and how well it stands up over time for you.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Zanymuse,
I used the Fleck Stone on both plastic and clay containers. Per the instructions, I sanded the plastic containers before painting. I will warn you that you need use this paint somewhere you do not have to move your items for at least 24 hours. The slightest touch will smear the paint (but you can just spray a small amount to cover any smears). I was worried that the paint would not adhere to the plastic pots, but so far, the paint has dried to a nice hard finish.

Also, depending on how you use this paint - - it may not entirely cover your item and the original color may show through. I read somewhere that you may want to chose a complementary Fleck Stone color to your item, or may want to paint a base coat before using the Fleck Stone.

I'll keep you posted on how well the pots hold up this summer, and may even post a picture :)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd lpve to see pictures of how it came out. I have an idea working in my wee brain about a project for garden art and if this stuff looks righr it just might be the way to go!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I used it on a couple of old Terra cotta Pots, they have stood up for about 10 yrs. They have a glaze inside tho and I never planted any thing directly in them, but they are on either side of my front door under the eve, not in direct sun or weather. They stay out all year tho -very durable finish I think.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Azalea, That sounds pretty durable to me !

I have also painted clay pots and when the paint was still wet; sprinkle sand on it and let dry. I usually just put the sand areas only around the rim of the pot. Just gives it a nice and different texture; add a few seashells and you have a very nice looking pot

Colored Sand

Instructions to make your own colored sand.
Materials Needed:

Sand
Food Coloring
Glass or Metal Bowl (you can also use paper cups, paper bowls, or baggie)
Instructions:
Use one bowl for each color you want to make. Place the desired amount of sand in the bowl. Pour on enough water to barely cover the sand, then add a generous amount of food coloring to each container. Stir and set the bowl aside and let it sit until it is the desired color (this can take a while). Once the sand has reached the desired color, empty out the extra water, and pour the sand onto paper towels to dry.

This message was edited Tuesday, Mar 25th 6:24 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.