so you want to become a Galanthophile?

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

here is a list of snowdrops that will start you on the uphill struggle to become a Galanthophile.

nivalis 'Greenish' - green inners and green flushed outers
nivalis 'Viridapice'- outers tipped with green
plicatus 'Wendy's Gold' - large yellow inner mark
elwesii var elwesii - two marks on the inner petals
elwesii var monostictus - one small mark on the inner
'Magnet' - long pedicle so the flower swings in the wind
'John Gray' - very large flower
'Hill Poe' - by far the best double like a very neat rose
gracilis - short with twisted leaves
plicatus - very large folded leaf

I'm sure there are more but I just cant think who should be top of the 'drops

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Over here!!! One of the challenges here in the US is availability. Can you recommend any suppliers that might have beyond the basic three, which most seem to sell?

Mr Hitch Lyman
The Temple Nursery
PO Box 591
Trumansburg
NY 14886

30 varieties sold in the green and mail order only within the US. $2 for the list issued in January. Tell him I sent you - the Irish guy from the 2003 Telford snowdrop conference.

ps expect to pay up to $40+ for a single bulb

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 23rd 7:24 PM

this is how I spend my days off during January - March

Thumbnail by mark

Mark - thanks!

I'll order the catalog and see what's available. $40/bulb is beyond my current pain threshold, but as I continue down this path and narrow the list of what I don't have - the addiction may set in and I might not flinch so much. Quite unlikely this year, so I am safe in the short term.

Pity it's mail order only - less than three hours from my house.

Now we see how you get those pictures - I was always envisioning you on your belly with your chin on the dirt.

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 23rd 7:49 PM

ah but I do lie flat. note the very clean jeans and jacket!!

That was taken while at a snowdrop conference. The next day I had 2 brown elbows 2 brown knees and a very dirty front on my jacket.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

In the world according to Mark, my family has to chose between galanthus and having a crust to nibble ;~)

I wonder which types one could find to form the basis of an amateaur's core collection before branching out into esoterica?

Adam.

Adam - sent you an email of some very reasonable ones that can be found, and then increasing costs as you go more unusual.

Just received seeds of G. platyphyllus. How do I treat them?

they must be very old? seeds have to be sown as soon as the pod opens. The seeds should be planted into pots of top soil with grit added for drainage. Sow the seeds on the surface and cover with a layer of grit. Growth wont happen until next spring when snowdrops would normally come into growth.

According to my book the seedlings need to be kept growing for as long as possible and fed a few times in this period and keep them against a north wall to help avoid dessication.

They say old seed may take two years to germinate.

Thanks! They are from 2002, but I received them last week:)

sow them now and label the pot correctly incase nothing shows until 2004. the first years growth will look like grass seedlings so dont be in a rush to weed the pot.

Any reccomended reading; preferably something with images of most species and cultivars?

Snowdrops by Matt Bishop but hang on for a while because it's gonna be re-issued with 40 extra images of snowdrops

Thanks; it's noted:)

Sbarr ~~~

No email from you.

Try again?

Thanks.

Adam.

Adam - just sent again. If you don't have a message go ahead and send something to me so I can reply directly to your email address rather than send through the DG mailer.

Sandra

can I see the list of dnowdrops too? just in case there is something I dont have

Of course - Mark. Sending you the mail that I sent to Adam. Of these, perhaps you can advise or make recommendations.

OK

Sbarr & Everyone ~~~

Got your mail. Thank you so much for the links. There is a lot of information there. Work life is a little busy now so I have not had the chance to review everything completely, but I have some thoughts:

1. I would be particilarly happy to Coop on Galanthus because there is so much expertise about this lovely little plant amongst potential participants.

2. If we chose a Continental or British supplier, the German branch of my family would be happy to act as the shipping point to avoid massively marked up shipping charges. There would be NO shipping charges from Germany to any location worldwide (the same goes for shipping from the States to any location).

3. Because I am new to gardening in general, I'd be happy to follow along as more experienced growers suggest specific cultivars or species. I only have one type now (elwesii), so any additions would begin a modest core collection.

Let's hear some thoughts.

Adam.

Count me in. As I find new suppliers and get the catalog from Hitch, I'll keep you posted.

Let me know if you find anything!

*very much looking forward to collaborating on this - I'm still very much in the baby steps phase and welcome any recommendations and guidance*

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 30th 9:26 PM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Sandra,if you want some regular everyday ones,I have tons all over........

Sold!!! err, I mean traded - I'd love as many as you can spare (and then some - and I promise not to tell Chuck about the Clematis). *big grin* - sent a mail.

poor Galanthus 'Every Day' he/she has a name Galanthus nivalis.

Avon only supplies snowdrops in July which is the best time to move snowdrops

poor Galanthus 'Every Day' he/she has a name Galanthus nivalis.

Paul Christian only supplies snowdrops in July which is the best time to move snowdrops

Mark - so July is the best time? I've read that spring is the best time, just after the plant has flowered (term most often used in "in the green").

For me, July would be great - everything else is planted and not the huge rush to get everything in the ground.

here's what I have to say on the subject http://www.snowdropinfo.com/faq.html#green

Mark - makes a lot of sense - that the bulb has time to develop and strengthen it's roots before transplanting.

Avon looks like it has a nice variety and when I tracked down the link for Colesbourne Park - wow. In fact, all of links on that site look wonderful. The only one I had seen was Paul Christian - so my initial search and links were woefully preliminary.

Karyn: I'm looking forward to the ones from you - for my hosta bed and at the end of the driveway - (away from the dogs, especially Stoli, who takes great delight in finding things to dig up when left to his own devices for too long). :-(

And then on to expanding the collection - which shall obvious take years. The start of a new journey.

This message was edited Monday, Mar 31st 6:48 AM

I have said this before but here goes again

WARNING - the path to becoming a Galanthophile is a dangerous one

And your can revel gleefully in our angst and agony!

and you will need deep pockets

what I will also suggest is you only buy snowdrops that you can see the differences between. There is no point looking at a web site and buying A, B and C which look alike by having a small green mark on the inner petal but differ by being slightly smaller, taller and having a more rounded flower. If the labels are lost or fade you wont know which is which.

if any of you want to phone and chat to me me about snowdrops I'll tell you the ins and outs

Mark ~~~

I first read your remarks on the best time to plant / move snowdrops long after I had bought and planted my little plot (25) of elwesii in October, and at that time became concerned that I might not have a show come Jan ~ March.

As it turned out I've had some lovely flowers. All but one came up, and of those 23 had a nice bloom. The one that did not bloom has larger (but otherwise identical) foliage than the rest.

As you know, I had one very early (for this zone), bloom (dutifully marked), and also a twin bloom (one plant with two stems and two flowers)~~~ it bloomed last of my group.

This twin (also dutifilly marked), gave smaller but fully formed flowers with identical green markings to the individual flowers. It has slightly smaller foliage than the others, but is obviously also elwesii.

Adam.

Adam many snowdrops make double scapes - the technical word - and it's caused by a slight hiccup in the cells that make the scape. The same is for Narcissus with many heads.

I thought the thing with many heads was Hyrda ;~)

Adam.

oh yes I forgot. Narcissus drowned! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.