Trilliums revisited

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

I purchased some bulbs the other day at Franks. One of them is sprouting in the package. I am in zone 5, we expect to still have cold weather on and off for probably 6 weeks or so. We finally just thawed out and my first crocus will finally open up tomorrow.

Is it to cold to put it in the ground? I have no idea if I should wait, start it indoors, or what? I put some in last fall but I think the squirrels got them. I used blood meal but it must have been old because it didn't stink, nor did it stop my little friends.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I would pot them up and leave them in a cool place for now, set them out when you can work the ground. I've got (roughly) 150 trilliums in 4" pots ready to go into their new homes this spring, some are already sending up their foliage.

I figure it might take them another year or two to stop sulking after they're transplanted, but that's okay; I hope to be around to see them when they are finally settled in :)

One thing to keep in mind with the spring ephemerals is to try to keep their foliage around as long as possible - provide them the shade and moisture they need, even when they're established. The longer they keep their foliage, the stronger their root system, and the better the foliage and blooms will be in ensuing years.

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks Terry, I will do just that!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Trilliums are probably my favorite. But don't havae any here too much sun and I'm not sure if they would survive my really alkaline soil. Maybe in a few years and my woodland area trees get large enough I can try to grow them again. Did have them at my other place. Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.