Coleus collection!

Here's a photo of most of my coleus. They looked so pretty all packed together like that. What a riot of color they are! I was just getting ready to take cuttings. I know that's a terrible tease to DG members, but I don't know whether I will have some to trade or not after I'm done. I will post when and if the time comes for trading.

Thumbnail by Studley
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

WOW!
it looks like a fireworks display!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

wow thats beautiful you tease!

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

Lovely display..., great job.

Adam.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you certainly have the touch. see some there I would love to trade for if you wind up with extras.

I thought I sent you most of these in the secret coleus swap this fall.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you did on looking close. The one on the bottom left I had a lot of and it didn't make it. I'm surprised at how many I really have left, I got up and looked after seeing your babies. I think just about the only ones I have left are what you sent. thank you again.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What incredible colors! Did you grow them from seeds? If so, how long did it take to germinate them and when were they ready to be planted outdoors?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I think I only have 3 left from the fall trade! It was just the wrong time of year to be doing this. Between the mealy bugs and my gh heater going out, I am about Coleousless, is that a word?? Have been thinking we really need a coleus co-op or swap or something similar soon!! Don't have many to swap tho! Could substitute with Swamp Sunflower tho!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

PJ you're as bad as me!! sitting here trying to think of what I can come up with. I did manage to keep several just barely alive, will have to take a picture (and cuttings!)
do have seedlings just barely up, they are really slow growers.

How SLOW is slow, tiG?

Should I be starting my seeds NOW for planting in May or June?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

definitely!!!

OKAY, I'll get right on it.....tomorrow : ~)

Good night....zzzzz's

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Wish I had some seeds - especially Sun Coleus! Never even thought of saving them last year I had so many great cuttings going!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I saved a bunch of seeds from my sun coleus, the ones that made them. I let them go at the end of fall. I have no idea what they will be when they grow up, and I bought seeds from Parks too.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Stidley, my dear................you sure know how to get my attention!! Wahhhhhhhhhhh!

"eyes"

Wow! Glad everyone has enjoyed the photo. I simply love the little buggers. Shirley, all of these are from cuttings. You see, I have this disorder. I am coleuskleptomaniac. whenever I see a coleus I don't have, I pinch 2 cuttings. When I visit botanical gardens or the like, I usually have a ziploc with a wet paper towel in there for my cuttings. It can be embarassing, but I really have no control over myself. These were cuttings I took around Oct. to overwinter. I bumped them into 4" pots and pruned several times in the winter and then bumped up to 6" pots end of feb. I just took about 500 cuttings from these, 12 or so of each variety. I will grow most of them on to sell.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

how do you keep the mealybugs from eating them?

Mealy are always there. I hate the buggers! I am going to try a systemic on them soon. Maybe that will help.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I had been careful to bring all my coleus indoors in the fall. They looked awful but they were doing okay. You'll never guess what happened!! I had them all lined up on the window sill in the kitchen. I came home from work after one of our umpteenbazillion degrees below zero nights and they were all frozen! How dumb is that? I never even thought about frost damage in the house... duh!

Don't worry Studley. The Inkyfingers is okay - it wasn't on the window. I'll have have some cuttings for you when it warms up. I was thinking that'd be a good one to try a standard with. Have you ever done a standard with coleus?

No, poppysue, I haven't. I have done some beautiful standards of abutilon thompsonii and anisodonta, but never coleus. Hmmm... new project.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

those are gorgeous. I love the cocaphony of colors.
are they easy to start from seed?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Seeds are tiny but they germinate easily. It doesn't take long for them to become nice sized transplants. I noticed yesterday they have the wizzard mix seeds at wally world.

Tig it will be interesting too see how the seeds from your hybrids turn out. I imagine they won't come true but you might get some interesting new hybrids :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I just hope to get something:) I love coleus and want them everywhere.

I also saved seed from hybrids that I will be sowing this week to see what comes from the mix!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I just love your picture. All my coleus died late in the winter........they looked so great in the beginning and all the ones in the hoophouse got black rot. Then slowly the ones in the house started rotting from the bottom up. I could have cried. I intend on getting tons this summer. After seeing your beauties, Studley, I am back to intending to get them soon!

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Poppysue, thanks for letting me know, I'll have to go get some to take with me. Maybe I can keep some in pots at first, with some brugs that I am going to take

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I have just spent the last hour looking at seed catalogues. Now I'm more confused than before. Which ones give the riotous colors in your picture? I know I'm going for inky fingers but what else do you suggest?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

OH Beautiful! I am going to get me some!!! I have grown from the seeds. THey are easy to grow.. I am going to start in pots first!

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Hmm Studley you gave me an idea.I hear there's a real neat GH/Garden Center in Rochester, not too far from me. I'm going to visit them this summer and bring a baggie with wet towels.Let's see, which corner do you keep those coleus in? LOL

Snowhermit, come on down. I can't tell you where the coleus will be. I have moved them and every other plant I have a dozen times this past week. It's a dance I call the Spring shuffle. When I head up North, I know this little greenhouse with some brugs. Have root-tone, will travel, that's my motto.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Studley, you dont' even need rootone with brugs!! (she's gonna get me) but seriously, I don't know two more generous people than you two.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

LOL. Tigs right, you don't need root tone. You'd be disappointed if you saw them now. Just a bunch of naked sticks with tiny leaves.Except for my last years cuttings. They are starting to bud.If you see a silver Dodge pickup pull in this summer with a back seat full of Brugs you'll know it's me. :)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Are either of you two going to come to the NE roundup in Cooperstown?

I won't be able to tell until a few weeks before the event. I will post then on the thread. It would be weird meeting all theses people I write to.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

I just started planting mine out this week (the ones I got from you Studley. Thanks again. They are beautiful) The SFA Arboretum is having their plant sale in April and they will have coleus. They had some beautiful extra large leaved coleus in the garden last year. I sure hope I can get some of them when I go to the sale. If I do, I'll gladly share the cuttings. (I would have loved to take a cutting as it was late in the year when we went and they probably only lasted a couple more weeks but, it is a definite no-no to take cuttings there)

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Poppy, I have to see how my back feels. This artic weather we've had has wreaked havoc on my back this winter. I'm hoping it will feel better with the warmer weather or I may be looking at surgery.Got new meds the other day for the 3 herniated disks but I haven't taken them long enough to know if they will help.

Dripping Springs, TX

Studley you should be ashamed of yourself! That a terrible way to treat all of us at Daves. I bet you danced around after you posted this and said that "na na na na na" thing

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.