The view from my kitchen this a.m. *to funny*

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

A couple juvenile turkey vultures (note: the lack of color on their heads) trying to eat the dogs toy a stuffed bear(LOL) one of the vultures was gurarding his "kill" from the other ones. I WISH I would have video taped it. It was hysterical. Even without a cup of coffee.
Kristi

***note the little stuffed bear on the sidewalk***

Thumbnail by datdog
Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here is a close up of one of them.

Thumbnail by datdog
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Kristi, that IS funny..LOL!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

What a hoot - silly things! Practice, I guess!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Ha!! I'll have to mantion this to my girl freind. She's had some vultures around here place. Maybe they can throw out an old teddy to lure them - lol!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL so funny! Yes video would be better!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Wish I cudda seen that! Serves the ugly things right!
Ever seen fight over road kill? Chilling.

Love to start the day with a good laff :)

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

Poppysue, am I so behind the times, or are vultures recent to Maine? I think I've seen them here and in Prospect. In the 70's I went south and first saw them in N.Carolina. Global warming? Not last winter. Frank

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

That's just sooo funny - thanks for posting :)

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

The vultures are now LOOKING in the windows in the morning? Do you think this is a sign? LOL It's getting a little freaky!

Thumbnail by datdog
Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here is a group of them. One was also trying to eat bird seed out of the feeder. That was SO funny! What gets me, there is 'road kill' at the end of our block. WHY don't they go and eat it?

Thumbnail by datdog

Ooooooh spooky, hope they haven't got designs on the occupants of the house LOL

Perhaps they lost their mummy and daddy and never learnt what kind of food they're sposed to eat ;)

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Me to philomel! LOL..... I'm wondering if I should go get a check up from the doctor! My husband has been kidding me about this all morning.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Boy, wish our office had big windows like that! What a view (vultures aside).

This is such a wonderful thread. I loved the photos and I loved the story of the teddy bear. Too funny!

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Equilibrium- they are back again this winter just like clock work... A few more pictures. I should have snapped some this a.m. They were running around the back yard with a 'dead' pool duckie that didn't get put up for winter. LOL

Thumbnail by datdog
Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

They love the dog..

Thumbnail by datdog
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That's funny! They'rrrrrrre baaaack. LOL

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Looks like good pickings at your house!! LOL Teddys and Duckies...what more could they want?

West Warwick, RI(Zone 6b)

Hey! Thats so cool! You have your very own back yard clean up commity, good for you! I think they are awsome, and inspiring, mother nature was on the ball when she created these guys.

: )
Dena

Rubber Duckie you're the one... you make yardtime so much fun!

Remember that song? datdog, your guests lend new meaning to the rubber duckie song! I love them!

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Datdog, you have such a beautiful back yard...but what the heck are you putting in your bird feeders, girl?

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ceceoh- I don't mess with the bird feeder. I go for the big guns. My vulture attracting plant- don't ya know.....

Thumbnail by datdog
Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Observe the vulutre... When this plant blooms you'd think someone died.

*** can't find the picture- I'll keep looking. Here is a picture of the gang on the front porch. It was raining and I guess they didn't wan to get wet.

Thumbnail by datdog
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I remember the vulture pics with the plant. Too funny. Your vultures are something. Not something I get in this neck of the woods.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
I don't mess with the bird feeder. I go for the big guns. My vulture attracting plant- don't ya know

LOL! Yep, one of those would do the trick...if they would actually grow in Jersey, that is. ;)

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. 'howdy' datdog/Kristi ..

Ahh, tis one of the tales which deem worthy of a royal bumperooner ..

Not sure which would be worse: these big skinheaded feathered critters or a family of skunks on my porch. (lol)

- Magpye

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Ahhh! A stinking alum! No wonder those poor vultures are confused. They can smell a corpse, they just can't find it! Guess mom & dad forgot to warn them about the plants. :)

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Magpye- thanks for bumping this up! I must say that I really do look forward to the fall when the big guys return. Sadly, only about 1/4 of the vultures showed up this fall and I often wonder what happened to them? I do have one that still pecks away at my door every a.m. and hops about after me when I'm in the yard. I can't prove it but I do think he's the same one that shows up every year. I've grown attached to the ugly bugger. :) He/she will be leaving soon and I'll wait again next fall to see if he comes back.

Yes, I'll keep my vultures and pass on the skunks. LOL Had them once and they were not good neighbors. :)

Garden Mermaid that is SO true- those suckers stink.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Do you think they were Black Vultures, not Turkey Vultures?

Medford, NJ

We have both types, the ones with the red face, and the ones with the grey face, and they hang out in the same flock. We put a turkey carcass out one day for the small birds to pick apart, and before you knew it, we had a flock of about 20 vultures just hanging around in the backyard. It was sort of comical, the way they just lurk around, and they are very curious, looking into the windows and all, and one small group spent a good amount of time investigating and pushing a soccer ball around the yard.

Unfortunately, I had no batteries in the camera that morning.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hadn't seen this old thread before . . .

Quoting:
Do you think they were Black Vultures, not Turkey Vultures?

. . . all the pics show Black Vultures

Resin

Hebron, KY

Kristi,

All your pics and comments with each posting, are too funny! LOL

Thanks for sharing!

Marilyn

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

What a timely post, I just had my morning visit from our local vulture. Not sure why this one hasn't left but he/she seems to be hanging around pretty late. I snapped a picture the other day of my DOG and the vulutre both sitting on the back porch. Thankfully I have a very kind dog that wouldn't hurt him or go after him. I'm on a new computer so I'll try to figure out how to download it later.

I'm so glad this got bumped. It sure is a fun read! Poor, poor teddy bear! lol
We have Turkey Vultures here and I am glad for the 'service' they provide!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

What a great thread! Glad it got bumped too! I love Vultures!

Oak Ridge, TN

Loved this thread. Vultures are under-appreciated, both for the janitorial services they provide and their fascinating, inquisitive nature. They have a flock hierarchy, just like a pack of wolves, and vulture children have to be formally "introduced" by their parents in order to gain acceptance. Personally, my favorite raptor.

I didn't know about their social lives, thanks for the intro clueless - must look them up. They don't live immediately where I am, but there are three or four species in the Pyrenees, not far away.
Thanks again for the thread datdog :)

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey Ya'll! Hope you don't mind my droppin' in! My best friend lives in Ala. Before she moved to the house where she lives now, she lived in the edge of the woods. She fed the crows and vultures. She would call the crows, and the vultures would come! They learned about what time she put her scraps out and they would roost in her tree till she put them out for them! Those vultures were beautiful. So black they looked blue, and had a wing span on about 4 or 5 ft. Bigger than your friends, I think! I never heard of anyone who could call crows before!
Audrey
PS: I just reread this, Sounds like she didn't live in a house in the edge of the woods! She did! She just moved to another house!

Pittsburgh, PA

"bumping up" a funny thread.
I'm glad I've dug deep back into the wildlife forum so as not to have missed anything!
It's very educational - and even more entertaining!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.