First cut of the year!

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Spring is here! I had my mower serviced then flew round the garden with it when it was returned this morning. Grass was long and damp. I kept the blades on high and left off the grass box. It's still a bit uintidy but is definitely a lawn again.
Daffs are in full bloom. Need to get out there soon and tidy up the borders. Rain pelted down this afternoon. Hmm, March in England... :(

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Well done Diane!! I did my mum's last week, but still haven't got onto mine. I have to remove the old cement and concrete chips left by the guy who replaced my garage window first, otherwise the mower blade will be totally ruined :(

Yep, went round it at the weekend checking that there wasn't anything lying on it that might damage the blades. Removed a few plan pots that had blown onto it during the winter.
Congratulations on getting your Mum's done nice and early!

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Finished tidying up my garden yesterday...it took me a few days. Cut of the old stuff, removed the winterprotections, put the tender plants outside... and I'm already weeding. Nice to see how my garden awakes. The early daffodils and crocus, snowdrops bloom...Yes, it sure is spring

Tender plants outside?? I won't dare until May/June here!
It's lovely to feel everything reawakening though isn't it. it's beautiful sunshine and blue sky here today, though a cold wind :(
Yes, the daffodils and crocises are in full swing - and the Daphne odora, yum. I always forget how early that is and it's a very welcome sight and scent

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

I think I've expressed myself not correctly Philomel...I mean the tender ones that I keep in an unheated shed as winterstorage like Verbena citriodora, Oleanders and so. I've already planted a few seedlings out. Temp at daytime overhere (South Netherlands) in my very sheltered southgarden is 18C. Nights are still cold though..about 5C. If temp falls to a little nightfrost I'll cover the seedlings and the tender ones with branches of my old christmastree to keep them warm. Eremurus in my garden has grown to 25 cm already..I have to give them a cover too when the temp drops to freezingpoint.. Here we have a saying ..one swallow does'nt make the summer..Who was it who has seen swallows already? Mark?
Now I make my gardenround several times a day close looking what is peeping out from the perennials that die back every winter.. It's so nice to see my old friends again :)))

We had -5C last night and it looks as if tonight is similar.
A friend saw two turtle doves in her garden today!! They're VERY early

I managed out yesterday and tidied up one of my flower-beds and weeded it. Cut back the old growth from last year to make new for the new. Plenty of new growth coming along. Unblocked one of my drains too while I was at it - phew!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.