He's here!!!!!!!!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

and don't have the feeder out!!!!!!! it's still a few days early. oh man, I've got to go!!!

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Grab a camera!!!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

just saw my one visiting my lillies! YAY!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Nooo way tiG are you for real??!! It is soooo early! I had no idea they arrived this early, I guess I better get my feeders out and have them ready to fill.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I saw the 1st one on Friday.
Larkie

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

yep, but he hasn't been back. our usual date is March 16th.

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8a)

Hummers appearing now in the southeast are migrating northward, as far as Canada. If you have one that stays around, he/she has claimed the area as his/her breeding territory. The hummer population increases greatly by mid June when the first newborns leave their nest. By late July & early Aug, the second set of young are leaving their nest. Also the southward migration has started. The only reason for rubys to be here is to breed. Breeding females will raise two & sometimes three broods. Many do not survive, but enough do for us to have a hummer population explosion. Don't get discouraged if you only see a few between now and July, they will be back in numbers.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

how often should I change my water at this point? it's been cool the past few days.

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8a)

Until night temps stay above 60 degrees, you probably only need to change every 10 days or so. What I do sometimes is a taste test(spill a little solution on your finger and taste, if sweet ok, if not change). Since I know that the hummers will not be consumming much this time of the yr, and that I will be pouring most of it out, I only put a 1/4 cup or less in each feeder. Hope this helps.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

it does Larry. That's along the lines of what I was thinking and I didn't fill my feeder up either.

LaGrange, GA(Zone 8a)

You can track the migration at hummingbirds.net it's a great sight.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

hi Melodie!!! welcome to DG! we live so close. There is a GA swap planned for May, check out the Roundup forum if you haven't already!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.