wildlife observations March 11th

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Horse Chestnut buds are bursting.

Rook nests are practically built.

on a sad note I know of a cob swan who will be without his pen this spring. She hit a telephone line yesterday afternoon. I had to 'rescue' it while wearing my Wildlife Rescue hat. Unfortunately she was dead when I arrived

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

It's +2 C outside, snow is melting.. Keep the warm winds blowing this way, we need 'em here :)

Yesterday the weather took a small step backwards though, we got some snow, the flakes were huge, about the size of a 2 € coin, there were even bigger ones. They were huge!

Thumbnail by Evert

we may be warm just now but later this week we are due to get north winds that will skin our Maximus Glutimi

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

snow melt in here too, and drainpipes are straining water...

Thumbnail by Mitjo
Versailles, CT(Zone 7a)

I know it's spring as the larger Swiss two-legged, upright mammal has started spraying bovine excrement on the fields round my house - as soon as the snow goes, out it comes, along with the primroses, snowdrops daisies and birds.

The rook family don't mind though. They were there last autumn with the parents feeding two young as large as themselves; I'd like to think it's the same four back now, bathing in the snow last week and this week picking the insects out of the above-mentioned fertiliser - they obviously lack my sense of smell! I know we talk of rook families but do they really go round in families of four?

no babies out of nests until May

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.