Queen's Wreath, Bluebird Vine, (Petrea volubilis)

Keizer, OR(Zone 8b)

Common name: Queen's Wreath, Bluebird Vine,
Family: Verbenaceae
Genus: Petrea
Species volubilis

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/54548/

Thumbnail by IslandJim
Lakeland, FL

Do you happen to have any seeds from this plant?

Keizer, OR(Zone 8b)

I've never noticed that it set seeds. Sorry.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Jim-
Is your petrea in the ground, and does it survive the winters there for you?
Thanks!

St John's, Antigua and Barbuda(Zone 10a)

After quite a few attempts I finally have a cutting of this lovely plant and am unsure where to plant it. Does it want full sun, part sun and full sunlightull, or what? Will it grow well without a trelli support as a shrub? Has anyone heard of a "red cloak" I have just seen this fabulous plant for the first time and it is growing like mad, probably quite invasive, I have planted it between an avocado tree and a canistel and hopw it doesn't kill either of them LOL

New Delhi, India(Zone 10a)

Petrea does quite well in my zone and is a rapid grower. I planted two of these in the ground 3 years ago when they were about 2 feet tall, and now their length is greater than my portico roof which is 12 foot high. The North-east pillar petrea gets only morning sun (4-5 hours on average) and is not growing as profusely as the one that is on the south-west pillar. The south west petrea gets sun for around 7-8 hours a day on average most of the year. Full sun suits petrea better. It needs help to climb and I have thin copper wires supporting it up the pillars. I have put steel wire horizontally near the top of the portico to help trail it around the perimeter. This is quite effective although after the creeper reaches a height of 9 or 10 feet it tends to grow upwards without much additional support. If no further support is there I think it would cascade down. I keep it trimmed to look neat. Petrea attracts more flower flies than bees. All in all a very attractive 'feel good' plant and easy to maintain. Definitely recommended. I shall upload photographs soon.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 3:15 PM

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 3:17 PM

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 3:17 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.