New Zealand tomato tree???

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

I recieved on of those gardening advertisement packages in the mail. This one advertised a perennial tomato TREE, not a vine or the ordinary tomato plant. The ad says "incredible horticultural concept from New Zealand".

Has anyone heard of this? I'm very curious, I know these ads can be decieving, but there are also lots of garden wonders out there that I know nothing about.

Wanting to learn here in WV, mamakane

Ladysmith, BC(Zone 8a)

Well the tomato plant is really a perennial, we in North America grow it as an annual, as it is frost sensitive, so if it is comming from New Zealand (who by the way also gets frost), I would imagine is just an ordinary tomato plant - scam?!

If you have a greenhouse your tomato plants will grow as tall as a tree if given the space & heat.

I would sort of class it as the same as the "Potoato/Tomato" plant, tomatoes on top & potatoes underneath. Though arnt potatos & tomatos of the same family, so maybe is true?

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

Gardendragon,
The potato/tomato thing is true. I have "The Grafters Handbook" and in that book the author discribes how to graft the two. I half heartly tried once but failed.
BTW I have heard of tomato plants growing in excess of 30 feet I have even heard rumors of a 40 foot vine (all were growing up trees, old buildings and the like). I have personally seen vines over 20 feet. I am trying for a 20 foot vine in northern michigan this year.
Sari

Tuscany - Italy, Italy(Zone 9a)

I think it is not a tomato but a tamarillo (cyphomandra betacea)from Latin America.
Fruits are not very tasty,plants are fine and tall if have suitable climate,

hope I was of some utility

Angelo
Siena Italy

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi angelo! I see you're from one of the most beautiful countries on earth. I hope to make over there one day.

Pete2

If you want Cyphomandra betacea, I have seeds to trade!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.