L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Common name: Texas Sage
Family: Scrophulariaceae
Genus: Leucophyllum
Species frutescens

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/54689/

Thumbnail by Kelli

Extra water or a spell of high humidity (over 50%) in the middle of summer will put this plant into full bloom. These conditions simulate the summer "monsoon" season of the American southwest, where this plant is native.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

Kelli, I'm trying to find one of these. When is the best time to divide one of these? There are no comments under propagation for this plant.

I really don't know. I've never tried dividing or cuttings with mine. I would guess that dividing is best done in the fall and cuttings are best taken in the spring, but I don't know.

I don't know if this plant is dividable... it's a shrub, and I've never seen it sucker.

I've read that terminal cuttings taken in late summer or fall will root. I'm going to be trying that soon (as soon as the blooms are done. They are in full bloom right now in South Texas).

Dave

Dave & Kelli, I just found a web site that says you can propagate luecophyllum frutescens from cuttings. The site is volusia.org/aroboretum/Shurbs/texas_sage.htm. Good luck.

Thanks for the link. BTW: some of the link was typo-ed, here's the correct one: http://volusia.org/arboretum/Shrubs/texas_sage.htm

dave

dave, oops on the typo. Thanks. BTW: I just purchased 6 3gal plants that I plan to install this weekend.

Guys, I'm VERY new to cuttings and have not really successfully rooted any. I do have several neighbors who have Texas Sage, so I am willing to introduce myself to them and ask for a cutting or two to try to root (with something to offer in exchange, of course).

Ok, so it's new growth, about a 4" cutting, and AFTER it's finished blooming. Like Dave said, these are still blooming in my part of Texas, so I'll have to wait a bit longer.

On the volusia page, it said to root it in 1/2 perlite and 1/2 sphagnum moss. Is this how you'd do it too?

Thanks for your help with this newbie ; )
~ Carole

I'd just use regular potting soil. That's what I always use, and it works just great. Don't get any cuttings with flowers. If there are flowers on your cuttings, pull them off.

Also take your cuttings early in the morning when it is full of the most moisture.

Rooting hormone will help. I use rootone from wal-mart.

dave

Perfect! Thanks, Dave!!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

'Bertstar Dwarf' (trademark name Silverado Sage}, a cultivar of Cenizo, grows to a heighth and width of 4 feet. It is denser and tends to be more evergreen than the more commom Texas sage. In addition, it has a rounded shape which makes pruning less necessary to keep the plant from becoming leggy.

This message was edited Friday, Sep 5th 1:02 AM

This message was edited Friday, Sep 5th 1:03 AM

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm very interested in planting this, but can only find 1 gallon sizes available in the area. How fast does this plant grow? How soon will it fill to 3' wide? As I plan to plant it in a very prominent location in the front of the house, growing to a full-sized plant in a reasonable timeframe is a serious consideration for me. (Also, I'm in central west coast of florida, so warmth and humidity are very much expected here, if that makes a difference to growth speed.)

Thanks!

Nanette, if yours grows as fast as ours, a one-gallon plant will fill a 3 ft wide space in about two years. I don't remember exactly, but we planted ours as one-gallon plants 6 1/2 years ago and they're now at least 6 feet wide.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 10a)

This little bush is beautiful even when it's not blooming--such a soft velvety grey!

Inyokern, CA(Zone 8a)

I live in Inyokern California, high Mojave Desert, Zone 8. Bought a bunch of Texas Rangers and planted them. The bottom leaves are yellowing and falling off. Is this common for November in the Mojave?
Thanks
tippi48

Tippi, you might want to ask your question in the Xeriscape forum http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/xeriscaping/ or maybe the Texas Gardening, Perennials, or Trees & Shrubs forums. I've never had a problem like that, but I don't live in the Mojave.

Inyokern, CA(Zone 8a)

OK, good idea. They are supposed to quite well here, as a matter of fact, it's what the water department plants around their buildings!!
Thanks again
tippi48

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.