March 1, 2003

southeast, NE

Good morning everyone! I can't believe it is March 1 already. It's definitely been "one of those weeks". Woke up Tuesday a.m. and in the middle of washing my hair (still full of shampoo) the water stopped. Thought it was frozen pipes or the cows knocked over the automatic waterere. DH couldn't find anything and called the well man. Turned out to be minor (a pump switch). However, the well man included a note in our bill that our 27 year old tank needs replaced. On Monday, dh and neighbor moved our cows home. On Thursday, we came home to find that Angel had calved - nice heifer. We were feeding cows and checking to see who might be next and we noticed Maggie wondering off by herself. Dh went to follow her and noticed she had hooves coming backwards. We got her in the lot and she jumped the fence and then we could not get her back in lot - neighbor came and helped and we finally got her in. They pulled the calf with relative ease but the lungs had a lot of fluid in. They really had to work (sling the calf, etc.) to get her breathing and she seemed to be doing realtively well. Got up at 5 a.m. and she hadn't sucked so dh went to neighbor's dairy and got some colustrum and we tubed her because she was so weak. She seemed to be doing fairly well - we fed her more colustrum. She was bawling for her mom, etc. Unfortunately, we found her dead last night. I think the whole birthing process was just too stressful for it. She definitely was full term. Life is about lessons right? One lesson - we need to put up better panels along the barn so cows can't jump fence. Worst part is listening to this cow bawl for her calf. She is a "persnickety" cow but has produced a few prize winning calves for us and is a good mother. Dolly also calved that same day.

On a good note, Julia showed the reserve champ steer at the Kearney Cattlemens Classic last weekend. She won a really neat wood tv tray type table that has Champ Simmental steer etched in it. She also won a hand painted huge trophy.

Well I'd better go check cows. Julia and her dad left early this a.m. for another cattle show. It is fairly close so I will head down there about noon. The neighbor is going to come check our cows.

You all have a good day.

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!