how soon

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

before frost can I start my gourd seeds inside?

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

Shoot!
You mean there is a definite time to start them? I have had mine on the go indoors for 6 weeks and I just keep pinching them back to control their wandering lust LOL. They now have 4 branching stems each and I am hoping I can be very careful in 10 weeks when it is time to plant them out.
I only have room for 2 and our growing season for them here is very short, so I want big root balls and lots of branches on them to get the best results. :))

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I started mine a week ago and they bolted. About 5 inches tall. Can I repot them deeper or will they be alright by themselves. They were sure fast only four days.

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

I transplanted mine today into deeper pots but at the same level in the soil.
I would be afraid that planting them deeper at the crown might encourage rotting of the stems.
Maybe some of the more experienced growers will come by and answer this query for us.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

They do grow fast!!! Last year I transplanted mine right after our frost date (May 15). I don't know if they would survive a frost or not. I just learned that Sweet Peas can go into the ground before the frost date (as seeds), and will still grow strong & healthy.

I wish I could tell you whether or not you can transplant before the frost date, but I just don't know. I think you are safer to transplant after the frost date. Or, if you have the tomato tube warmers, keep one of those over the plant if you transplant before your frost date.

The gourds definitely like a long growing season. And, try to limit each plant to seleted fruits rather than trying to grow an abundance from each plant. There will be stronger, bigger and healthier gourds in the Fall for you...

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I spoke with a gourd farmer this week in my same zone (5) and he had not yet put his gourds into the ground. He indicated that the soil isn't warm enough yet. I'll wait a few more weeks and then get mine into their new home.

I'm growing EXTRA long handled dipper gourds, snake gourds, spoon gourds, luffa balls, and I hope some baby rattle gourds (still waiting for another shipment of viable seeds on those).

Hope this helps anyone thinking about moving their gourd seedlings to the outdoors...

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

I better get some black plastic on my soil to warm it up faster.
The BHG's and the SNG's are starting to flower in the pots in the house!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow, RA ~ you must have tall ceilings and a great indoor environment for them :) Just let in a few bees and you can do this as an indoor experiment ~ lol!

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

LOL Morph, my Brugmansia take up my GH space and I keep it cool at 50F there as well so these are growing indoors in 2 gallon pots in the best window light I can give them. My season is too short to start them outdoors so I pinch, curl and molly coddle them along indoors until the 24th of May weekend here. I have used mainly transplant fertilizer to encourage strong root growth so when they go out, I plan on cutting the bottom off the pot and sinking pot and all in the ground so not to disturb it.
Pinching has made them nice and bushy and the lateral vines are well established so I hope to get a few strong gourds off each plant this year. :))

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Experience is speaking here! I like your methods :)

I certainly understand the need to get them going as soon as possible! I learned a lot last year with my first try at growing gourds & luffas. If you take any pictures, please do post!

Here's where I have prepared a special place to grow mine this year.

Thumbnail by Morph
Dallas, NC(Zone 8a)

I have always planted my gourls and melons in the spring. Mavis

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.