help I'm new/ ettiquete

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I stumbled into DG last night when I was looking for cheap greenhouses.
I stayed up till 2 in the morning checking things out, I'm amazed,I love this place!
I've only had a computer for a few months, all this is new to me. I noticed a lot of people use clever names much like a C.B. "handle" is this common? should I also use one?
What is proper etiquette on-line? Can you really spell things any which way ?
I already got an e-mail solution to a puzzle and an answer to a query I posted on the greenhouse forum! Such fun!!!
Thanks for your sage advice on this matter.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Hi Miggy, your handle is just fine. We are glad to have you here, you've already found out this place can be addictive so it's too late to warn you about that. Tell us about your gardening, where you live and stuff like that. As for proper etiquette, I think you've got it already, thanks for asking.

Richland Center, WI(Zone 4a)

Welcome Miggy. You'll do just fine. Really is a neat place to be, a lot of wonderful caring people here. Ask away and you will be pleasantly surprised at the answers you will receive. Happy gardening!

Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

Welcome Miggy! Where are you located?

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Hey maryE, I'm on Long Island, N.Y., in zone 7a. I have been other peoples Gardener on and off for about 11 years, I took time off to have two baby girls (now 5 and 6). Now I'm going back to work full time-ish.
All the gardens are pretty small, but keep me busy all week. Mostly they're pretty fancy; perennials, roses, specimen trees, and loads of Boxwoods. you know, that quasi-french-english look. I try to stick to clients who are plant-heads, or in the business, this way I'm not ripping things out when they're tired of them, or their no longer "in". Yes, that happens to a lot of gardens out here. crazy.
AND for the first time, I will be planting my own garden-Whoopiee!
If I have time, I'll do veggies with the girls as well, and a little flowerbed of their own. Can't wait. will needs loads of veggie advice. P.S. my bro. lives in Eugene, all that lovely rain!

Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

Eugene, Oregon? Be still my heart...:)

Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

Miggy, I am trying to post a hyperlink for you. It contains a lot of helpful acronyms. I am also new at this computer stuff so hopefully this works.

http://davesgarden.com/t/372304/

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

No,not me,I'm on Lawn-goyland, my lucky brother is in Eugene.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Rudbeckia ! You clever thing! a Hyperlink, wow! thanks, I saved the list of chat terms, so that everytime some one posts a new message I can go look at my new cheat sheet!.
zone 5a huh, have you read A Year At North Hill?

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Miggy. Welcome from NYC (Bronx), so near yet so far. I found this garden a month ago and now feel like an old timer. Etiquette? Talk to us as to old friends and we return the love and respect. There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met yet. Looking forward to meeting you in the forums.

This message was edited Saturday, Feb 22nd 3:42 PM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Miggy! Welcome to DG!! I think you'll find yourself quite at home in no time at all.
Michele

Hi, Miggy! I love your screen name. DG is so well designed that you'll be navigating like a pro in no time. This is one of the friendliest sites on the Web and I know you'll feel right at home here.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Miggy

Send me your addy, and I'll send you some veggy seeds that are fun for kids...WZ

Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

Miggy, I haven't read that book yet! I am glad you liked the hyperlink. I used to live in Eugene (which I tell everyone with a tear in my eye!). A death in my family brought me back to the East Coast and I haven't been able to return there. Check out the Roundup forum...there is a NE gathering scheduled for June!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Welcome Miggy, from Florida. You will love Dave's Garden and be zipping around in no time. So many nice people here and they love to share their knowledge.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Hello Everyone!! I love all these warm welcomes and replies, its lovely. Miggy is not just my screen name its the name I've gone by my whole life, its short for miguette.
Rudbeckia sorry to hear about your fam, I spent two years in london sorting stuff out after my dad died. Its alot.
A Year at North Hill by Joe Eck and Wayne Winterow(spelling?) A good book for northerners.
Yo Padre, que pasa?, 6b? no gulf stream I guess right?

This message was edited Sunday, Feb 23rd 1:31 AM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Welcome! What a wealth of information you will find from a group of very interesting and knowledgable people. Enjoy!
ßernie

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Welcome Miggy from Ky.I don't guess I need to tell ya you will love DG I think you have already found that out. Its the best garden site around. Oh about the screen names as you put it there are several old threads started that have how we picked our names this is the first one I found http://davesgarden.com/t/161863/ they are kinda neat to read . Hope you enjoy the garden.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks mystic! I love this place

Crossville, TN

Miggy...from this old lady in Southern Arizona.....WELCOME!!! You hit your best streak of good luck when you found this site...and if you don't belive me now...come back here in 2 or 3 months and tell me if I am right!! LOL See you in "chat" Tuesday night!! Jo

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi, Miggy - welcome! :) If you see posts by Howie, Lotusblossom and Whiterose, they're all family to me. Howie's my DH, Lotusblossom's my mom and Whiterose is her sister. If you can make it to any of the roundups, you'll have a great time!

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Hello everyone! hello roadrunner,hello gardenwife,.....

RR
I was wondering if someone was going to tell here about tues night chat befor i got to the bottom

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Miggy:

Spoke with you at chat last night. Welcome! The gardens you have done sound very interesting to me. I hope you can post a few pictures of the things you have worked on. I love the French - English look, and not sure how to get it. I'll have to get a few tips from you one of these days. Nice to see more folks from NY joining DG.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Hey Alyssum , that chat was funny, I really could barely manage and found myself answering questions four or five lines down so my answer came after a different question. Sort of like a funny parlour game.
I'll post some pics when I can figure all this technology out. I don't have a camera yet Still using an old Nikon slr.

Crossville, TN

Miggy, you did fine in chat...and you'll be an old pro before you know it...see you in Thursday morning chat!! That is when lots of our European friends can come in to chat....lots of fun. Jo

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Welcome to DG Miggy!!!!

As you can already see Dave's is a very friendly gardensite, and don't feel bad about spending alot of time here because we are all addicted!!!!!!!

sue

Plumieville, PA(Zone 6b)

Miggy Welcome!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey, Miggy, next time you get your film developed, check and see if the store offers digitized copies online. I know Wal-Mart does this for, I think, 99-cents extra. They scan your whole roll and give you a website addy to the low-resolution copies you can then download and save to your computer for posting online or e-mailing to others.

Another great service is Snapfish.com, which sends you pre-paid mailers for your film and includes a digital photo gallery at their site in the price of developing. They do a great job, too. I always had my prints back within a week of my mailing the film to them.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

WOW! Brilliant I'll do that with my next roll. Speaking of pics I just saw "poppysues" home page, what a lovely garden!
I'm going to go get a pick-up truck today, Whoopeee!!! I've been working out of a twenty yr old Toyota SR5. (It still runs great too),and I'm psyched to finally get a truck.

Take care everyone, talk to ya later!

This message was edited Thursday, Feb 27th 1:43 PM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Lucky you - My hubby would love a pick-em-up truck. He'd like a Dodge Ram. When our car loan's paid off a year from April, we'll be prowling the sale ads, I bet. :)

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Hello Miggy I found this place about aweek ago is'nt it great. As for computers I'm an OLD man and just got my first one, took me two days to find the start button.LOL.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey brucedean, you are doing great! Welcome.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Welcome, Brucedean! Did you know we have an 84 year old member who only started learning about computers 2 years ago? It's never too late!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey Brucedean, where is Jackson, Ga?

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Jackson is about 30 miles north of Macon off of interstate 75 .By Lake Jackson and Indian Spings state park.

Welcome, brucedean! So glad you joined DG. This is the best place on the Web, in my opinion!

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome Brucedean and Miggy. As everyone else has already said, you will love this gardening family. I haven't been here long myself, but have met so many nice folks here. So much information on this site. It's the best!

Crossville, TN

Hi Brucedean...welcome! I am an old lady that is just learning the computer too..LOVE IT! I also used to attend 4-H leaders meetings near you...Rock Eagle...nice place!....Plus I love Nu-Way hot dogs from the places in Macon....LOL I lived in Florida for a while and would drive up to August to visit a cousin...and stop in Macon when leaving I-75. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.