New Gardener

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon everyone! My name is Maryan (no,it's not a mistake, there is only 1 "N'and is pernounced Marion). I am finally a new homeowner and able to grow things! I have already planted the standards for my zone (5), and can hardly wait for some of my plants to mature to bloom like lilac and honeysuckle. I am having a wonderful time and have now decided that upon retiring, I would like to grow and sell plants for extra income. I have always loved growing things and have had great success with my 100+ houseplants. I don't have much success with orchids for some reason.......Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi and thank you for all the information you have provided me by simply reading along in the forums.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Maryan,
Welcome to DG. I am Donna from So. California. You have truly joined the best garden site around and as you mentioned, just reading the forums will give you so much info on gardening.

I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Donna

Hi, Maryan, and welcome to DG! This garden is filled with the nicest people, and now we have one more!

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the welcome. Now for my first question: Does anyone know how to get rid of stinging nettle?

Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

Welcome to DG, MPollard! Where are you located? I am also waiting for the spring lilacs to bloom. Here are some to tide us over!

Thumbnail by Rudbeckia
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Hi Maryan and welcome to Dave's. There are a lot of friendly folks here and we have a lot of fun while we learn new things. Keep that dream alive.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Maryan

So good to see you here on Dave's! I'll bet you'll get plenty of input about the nettle question if you post it on another forum, such as Garden Talk. We don't have that little beauty up here in Seward, Alaska... no, please don't send any!

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Hello, I'm new too . I hope you're having as much fun as I am. What nice people, I've met so far.
Nettles are used medicinally in England, and Nettle soup is actually quite yummy-If you can't beat 'em eat 'em !

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Maryan!! Welcome to Daves! Hope to see you posting around on the forums. :)
Michele

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Miggy. Welcome to Dave's. I see from your membership page that you garden professionally, but are finally going to have a garden of your own! You'll be able to get lots of helpful ideas and some wonderful trades on Dave's. You're come to the right place!

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Maryan, Welcome to the great garden in the cyber sky, DG. There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met yet. Miggy - you break me up -'If you can't beat them - eat them' Love it. Maryan, on your 'preferences' page you can identify your city/state and hardiness zone. It will help us to respond better to questions you might have that are zone dependent. I look forward to meeting you on the forums.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Welcome Maryan to one great website!

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Miggy..eat them..never thought of that. That's funny. Rudbeckia thank you for the lovely photo of what must be spring or summer somewhere! I reside in zone 5 in Omaha, NE. It is very humid in the summer (some plant love that, but it can be the ideal environment for all sorts of disease). Winters we freeze in heavy, cold, wet snow and ice. It is snowing as I write with a high temp of 12. My soil is clay (heavy) so I amend with leaves from a 110+ oak in my front yard. Some days I want to just take up the whole 'lawn'. It is bare in spots and has some of the roots from the oak heaving through it. What a mess! Any way, it's my house and I love it. Thank you again for your welcome and I hope to hear more from each and every one of you.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

110+! oooh, Oak envy! My soil is the exact opposite-pure sand. So I'm amending too, but easier digging.
Ever thought of planting the bare patches w/ something pretty like sweet woodruff (Gallium odoratum) that can 'drift' in and out of the lawn? Theres a lot of low growing shade loving cuties out there.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Welcome from Ky. If you have any problems with forums etc just yell somebody will jump right in there with an answer. This place is addictive so be prepared. lol

Whittier, CA(Zone 10a)

Hello everyone. I popped up first in pets. I am in zone 10, Southern California, and have five cats, three dogs. I love plumeria, and have hardenbergia vine, thunbergia grandiflora (as bad as a morning glory almost), two nectarine trees, loquat (hybrid)tree, dwarf lemon, grapes, two Lavendar Lady lilacs, a wisteria I am carefully staring at since it is showing no signs of life yet, and freesias, lots of annuals, some miniature roses, some seedling red cosmos ( will see just how red they are) and some other things.

I will figure out how to use my digital camera and send pictures eventually.l love to make container gardens, and I have a red, white and blue anemone container right now, with white allyssum in it. Everyones hyperlinks are showing up as just the word "hyperlink", what gives?

In the succulent and cactus forum, I asked about calandrina, a succulent a friend of mine grows, it send out long thin stalks, with fuschia pink bell shaped blossoms on it. The plant part gets about two feet tall, and it spreads if planted in the ground. Cant find such a listing on the net anywhere. Any one have any ideas?

Also looking for a true red plumeria, not the ruby red or purply red I usually see.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi, Maryan - I just found your welcome mat thread here by way of your post on the prayer requests forum. So, this is a belated welcome to you! How about posting a picture of that old oak tree of yours? I'd sure love to see that - they're magnificent trees. :)

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I will definately take one this season and attempt to post it for everyone, along with whatever my garden grows!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Where else but at a gardening site could you say you're going to post a picture of a tree and have everyone excited about it?! :D

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Amen to that! Any way, here is a photo of my lovely grandchildren. The girl, Cherokee, LOVES to accompany me in the garden. She always want's to help grandma 'pant frowers' :-)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Welcome to DG. Just click on the hyperlink and it automaticly wisks you to another site. Did your photo get lost in cyberspace?

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Not sure, It is an acrobat file though-maybe those don't work???

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Pictures must be in JPG, PNG or GIF format. If your picture is in an Acrobat file, you could do a screen print of it (press CTRL+PRINT SCREEN keys, paste the screen print in an image editor like Paint or Irfanview, crop it to just the photo size, and save it as a JPG. If you need more details, e-mail me. :)

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Thank you gardenwife. Lets try this?? In the preview, I don't see the attachment, but I need to learn how, so that when I take photo's of my 'babies' this season, I can share them with all of you! I will email you to attempt to find out what I'm doing.......or not.

Maryan

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Try fooling around in the Test forum -- if you click the FORUMS link on the sidebar here, a list of all the forums will come up. That's the best place to fiddle and experiment (we also have fun there!).

P.S. In paint, do SAVE AS and there should be a little drop-down menu beneath where you put in the file name. Sorry about that!

This message was edited Tuesday, Apr 1st 4:02 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.