Powerbells vs Millionbells

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a large front porch that in the past have lined with baskets of impatiens, but this year I was thinking of trying Calibracoa. Has anyone had experience with the superbells? I would like to hear about them in comparison to millionbells. THANKS! http://www.provenwinners.com/catalog/details.php?ID=786

This message was edited Monday, Feb 17th 5:23 PM

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have never heard the term powerbells, only million bells which is the calibrocha. I have had them for two years and I love them,they take bright sunshine and do well planted in baskets or in the ground. I am on this kick now putting those crawling plants in the ground. In my nursery catalogs I see each year they keep developing new colors in the million bells.

Ooops -- I ment Superbell -- Not powerbell (LOL I must have been thinking of Powerball - Lotto)I saw them in the Green Mountain Catalog, I think they might be something new. Supposedly a bit more upright and less trailing than the traditional millionbell.

This message was edited Monday, Feb 17th 5:16 PM

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Alyssum, do you play Powerball? lol my hubby likes to play the Megabucks, Oregon's own lottery game.
Superbell sounds interesting.

Actually -- my father in-law plays the powerball and so do many NY'ers so I am always hearing about it from people or the news. I think I am going to try that exact flower on the link. The co-op poppysue is doing is selling it.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Boy, I don't know where my brain is, I just saw your hyperlink. The plants shown there are million bells. So my guess million bells and superbells are the same. This year Proven Winners has shown a carmine red million bell, I don't know if it is available to the public yet but I am going to try some of it too. I sell plants from my greenhouse to another grower/retailer and she got the red one in already. I am hoping to use this red one in a few pots for my DD's wedding.

The only difference is that it is supposed to have a bit more of an upright habit and not trail as much. I was thinking that it might have a little more tidy of an appearance in my hanging baskets - which for me is a plus. Still curious if anyone has tried them.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

All those tunias... supertunias, million bells, surfinas, ect. are real winners. I'm sure superbells are too.

Still waiting for the catalog Alyssum. Quite anxiously too. I've seen several go through the mail at work... and I keep hoping mine will arrive in my mailbox! Maybe today will be the day ;)

I got the catalog on Saturday. Ordered yesterday. I ended up getting 2 flats with my neighbor. They really have a great selection.

I don't quite understand the "self-cleaning" part though of the Calibracoa, does that mean you don't have to deadhead it? I have gotten so used to deadheading my impatiens to get them blooming.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Andrea, that is exactly what it means, and it is true you will not be deadheading like an impatiens.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have used both Calibracoa and Million Bells. I really couldn't see a whole lot of difference. I bought an already planted hanger last spring with I think 6 plants in a 12" pot and was lovely all summer. Two falls ago I had a pot of million bells that i took into the greenhouse for the winter and enjoyed it for a long time. I cut all the branches back to the edge of the pot and in a month you wouldn't have known I trimmed it. Donna

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

What catalogue are you lusting after Poppysue?

I have not seen these superbells.......but I can't wait to try them. I understand they have come up with new and improved wave petunias, and verbena this year. I can't wait to try them all............. I just love mass color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.