ready to paint a gourd any tips?

San Francisco, CA

Only one of gourds dried out because it was in a place in the sun but inside, so I have one small banana shaped gourd to paint as a test. What brand of paint, and what about just a clear finish so I can see the pattern on the shell, instead of covering it all up?

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

I use acrylics, and woodburning tools. It's great fun!

(Zone 5a)

You can do anything you want, you can use leather dye, shoe polish for a clear finish. I use fabric paint, acrylic paint, dye and a flame, the sky is the limit. There are a lot of places that will give you help and ideas on the inter net. I hope this helps

San Francisco, CA

Show polish for what color shoes? The shoe polish I see one selects by color of shoes, I have some for white, I think already, I used for ice skates, if I can find it in the mess of my house.

(Zone 5a)

You can use any color you want, I use them all. I am not talking about the liquid kind but the paste. I do use the liquid white as a base coat on some of my gourds, so you see it's up to you. I would try them all and see which ones you like to use the best. I have a clear shoe polish(paste) that I use for a sealant when I run out of the spray polyurethane, just have fun and do post some of your photos.

San Francisco, CA

I have just one to paint. You mean the thing called "shoe cream" and it in a flat round jar?

(Zone 5a)

Yes it's called shoe polish here.

(Zone 5a)

Did you ever finish your painted gourd? I would love to see it.

San Francisco, CA

No it kind of cracked and developed a huge hole, I had to throw it out. Maybe it was not the right type of gourd?

(Zone 5a)

Sorry that happened to ya on your first try but please don't give up.

San Francisco, CA

I have two other round gourds but they are not drying as fast, since they are bigger.

(Zone 5a)

Then I am sure they will be thicker and you can work your magic on them, have fun and good luck.

San Francisco, CA

Also this year, I planted egg gourds because I was inspired by this forum. I just think they are cute. Here is a photo of one of my round ones from last year.

Thumbnail by Bug_Girl
(Zone 5a)

I've never seen one that looked like that, unusual.

San Francisco, CA

They were Thompson and Morgon assorted gourds. Oh and it is sitting in a bush, for some reason it grew into the bush, and used the bush to support itself on the vine. It looked so stange, I decide to photo it. Here is another view of one of them.

Thumbnail by Bug_Girl
(Zone 5a)

This looks more like a squash. All the egg gourds I have ever seen were white while growing.

(Zone 5a)

Here is what they look like while growing

Thumbnail by windsurffer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.