Green thumbed Nana

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

A memory of my dear old Nana. Nana was in her late 70's when she took a job as a seamstress at an orphanage where the nuns gave her free room and board and some spend money. Came spring she went out and turned over the soil in two strip gardens on either side of the long front walk. The superintendant came out and told her to leave 'his' gardens alone. She backed off but watched the area closely. One day he went out and planted his seeds. Nana went out that night and planted hers. He watered and weeded and she enjoyed 'her' garden. About 20 years earlier, when I was about 6 years old she would give me a nickel to take my little red wagon and go to the dairy, about a mile away, and bring back a wagon load of manure. I still remember dragging that wagon load across streets and up and down curbs with people looking with wonderment at this skinny little kid pulling a load of manure home to grandma. She would dump it on the ash heap of shakings from the furnace and after adding a wagon of top-soil 'removed' from the near by park, she made a lovely garden. She gave me a little space for my flowers, cosmos, zinnias and marigold. I've come full circle. Thanks Nana.

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!