Cool hardy Datura?

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

I am planting wild flowers in a long stretch, at a place I work up in the mountains next spring. Frosts go late, and nights are cool, most of the summer.
Once I planted D. meteloides (T&M strain, possibly wrightii) and it didn't grow or bloom all year.
Anyone know of a species that I can broadcast seeds around that enjoys harsh climates?
Thanks, Dennis

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

I had Lilac LeFleur come up everywhere last year in my gardens.The seeds were under three feet of snow all winter and it did'nt bother them a bit. Also has a white metel reseed and pop up babies in my veggie garden. I was pulling them up all summer.

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

If you need some double purple seeds, I have lots I can send to you. They did self sow in my yard. However, I started the mother plants and planted them out. I didn't broadcast the seeds.
Kristi

Brugvalley, Germany(Zone 7b)

Dennis,

can you send a list to me with all Daturas you already have?

I will have a look in my Daturaseedbox, may be there are some you wont have. Yust try them, I dont know whether they are coldhardyness.
GL

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Dennis...Datura Meteloides from California..grows wild in the mountains(low) and deserts...nights are cool to cold and days warm to very hot..dry conditions too.Whitew large flowers with pale blue edges.Very Fragrant too..is a perennial in areas of no hard freezes. :-)

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

Dennis, I have T&M's Datura meteloides La Fleur Lilac come up every year from self seeding here in my Ontario Zone 6.
I have seeds ( likely lots if I look) I can send you if you would like to try them there.

Is d.meteloides the same as d.double Erynagium Blue?
I have been trying to find Erynagium Blue.I read where this datura has an amazing fragrance.I have never grown a datura-much less start one from seed-but,would love to try.

Dennis, D. wrightii and lowland varieties of D. meteloides and D. inoxia has difficult to develop fast enough in our climates and the flowers often come as late as in September and only a few, because the temperatures again has started to fall and flower development needs warm weather too. However, they prefer cool nights. Highlands varieties however, will do better. Its impossible to say which is highlanders and lowlanders, if you don`t know their collection data. 1.000 meters and up will be fine here. D. stramonium and D. tatula should develop fine as they are higlanders per definition. Very much like B. sanguinea, they start loosing buds, when it get too warm.

Tonny

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Thanks, all of you. I have been away since I asked the question. I will just have to experiment with a few seeds of each.
It would be a waste of time to start them indoors, if they are to prove being a hardy wildflower. I think the 'la fleur lilac' will work out, although it is not a plant most people would pick out of a flower patch as being beautiful, but I must have several ounces of seed of one common variety, worth trying!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.