Greenhouse Equipment

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's some things that make things easier.
200,000 BTU oil furnace, comes in gas too.
ßernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

18" tube to disperse warm air evenly in the greenhouse.
It has holes every 4 feet.
ßernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sending unit for temperature alarm. Sends to the house every 30 seconds. Alarm sounds if temp goes down to 38º.
ßernie

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie, your temperature alarm transmitter seems to be from the same manufacturer as the one I commented on in the thread 'temperature alarm'. It may not be the same model, however. Have you tested it's response lag? If you pop it in your kitchen refrigerator and follow the temperature drop on your receiver, how long does the transmitter take to get to the true(stable) reading of the temperature inside the refrigerator? If you do this test, would you paste your results on the 'temperature alarm' string as well as here? Thanks.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Wev'e cheched them, they respond within minutes.
ßernie

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Berni. Can you tell me the model you have or the cost of that unit? I wonder why it is so different from mine in its response lag. If mine is broken I'll send it back for replacement.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

There from Oregon Scientific. Model # JTR168LR, on the receiver. The senders are # THN138. These 3 pics were taken in a 1 minute time period. Sends new temp every 30 sec.
ßernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

# 2

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

# 3 The dashed lines give history back 12 hours.
ßernie

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Obviously a much better remote thermometer than the one I purchased. Thanks for the information. I should have researched the topic some more before I purchased. Oh well. (short form of the Serenity Prayer). Good luck on your greenhouse.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

It certainly has greater capacities as a remote thermometer. Here are the specs: http://www2.oregonscientific.com/cablefree/jtr168lr.html

For me it has two strikes:

- No alarm (according to the promotional info) - the main reason I need a remote temp monitor is to alert me, especially at night, about dangerously cool temps, which, with some of my plants would be only 55 degrees.

- It costs three times more than the one at Technika.

An interesting anomaly: The receiver has a range of 300 feet, while the transmitter's range is 100 feet.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

Pardone me, maybe I'm an idiot..., but why would a RECEIVER need a range? As long as a signal of sufficient strength reached it from ANY distance, would it not recognize the signal?

Adam.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I guess you see the anomaly then.

The respective ranges are from the seller's information.

Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

Bernie as always you never cease to amaze me :) You really are an insirpation for those of us aspiring to become what you are :)

Katrina

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks & Good Luck to all!
ßernie

OK everyone--this is an equiptment thread yes??? I have a 10' x 10' sun shed (3 wood walls 1 south facing glass wall) and I want to get a lighting system. Boy can this ever get complicated. I saw a 6ft light rail system and thought that would be nice--then they start talking about MH lights and HPS lights--one site even gave advice as to what you use when so I thought I had better get a light that would allow me to switch kinds (yes no??). I am still not certain as to the wattage I should get so I can grow container veggies all winter (they would be on the floor once they got large).Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Skywarrior, here is some info from Worms Way catalogue.

HID lighting- HPS is the best to supplement a strong source of daylight. 400 watts for 4x4 growing area, 600W for 6x6, 1000W for 8x8.

From some other things I've read, 100W for 3x3, 250W for 4x4, and so on.

Most hydroponic catalogues have HID lighting sections, and there are some good sites on line too.

Hope this helps, Eileen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.