Frosted!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

My tomatoes that were doing so very well have been frosted. We got three nights of hard freezes in a row here. In spite of my efforts to protect them, they were damaged. One still has a green stem, so I might try cutting it back to the green portion of the stem to see if it will resprout from the roots. Has anyone ever tried that? Did it work?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Butterfly,

Those of us who live in the northern climes are more up close and personal with frost damage.

Cut out the damaged foliage and stems and if you have green stems and some green foliage left, there's hope.

The plant needs to photosynthesize to form energy compounds to build new foliage and stems so having some leaves left is good.

But I've had all the foliage stripped from young transplants by Colorado Potato Beetles and the plants still responded, but it took several weeks before I saw any new shoots.

It's almost time for those of you in zones 9/10 to be putting out your new transplants for the Spring crop, so if these don't make it at least your Spring crop ones will.

Carolyn

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Carolyn. I'm already looking for my new plants for spring. In a couple of weeks I'll be planting my new veggie garden, but I'd like to see if having an established rootball boosts production at all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.