January 28, 2003

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Anxiously waiting for all the ewe crutching pictures from MaryE!
Set of triplet ram lambs born today sometime. The smallest is the most agressive to nurse. What a mixture of color patterns! I have quite a mix of sheep these days. One is white with black circles around his eyes with 4 black feet. The tiny one is mostly white, and the other one will be mostly suffolk looking when he grows up. When the mother ewe didn't come up to the house for feeding I knew she was somewhere with babies. She lambs in approximately the same place every year. I had heard they do that. Some of the other ewes have kept me guessing, but this ewe is fairly consistent. I did have to look down the hill in a grove of wild plum trees. I gave the little guys some supplement. Will probably bottle feed one as soon as I see they have all gotten some colostrum.
Ponies had a nice hoof trim today. They were so glad to be let out of the corral when I got home. The old pony mare I had bred I don't is. I am not such a good horse person, but don't think she is big enough. I was going to give the first foal away to the owner of the sire and then the second foal the next year was to be mine.
Going to hit the hay myself , so I can get up and check on my babies in the middle of the night.

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!