Butterfly Bush/Rose of Sharon Germination?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I can't get these to germinate... any ideas? I'm trying half surface sow and half lightly covered. They're sown in a Jiffy greenhouse at about 78-80 degrees air temp, part sun location. I've had 0 germination.

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I found Buddleia in my propagation book. It says; light (don't cover) outdoors, or moist cold 30 days, followed by light 70-75 degrees, germination 20-30 days. So if it's been 30 days and nothing has happend, I would put them in the fridge.
Couldn't find Rose of Sharon.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks!

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

i just plant rose of sharon like most ofther seeds. i start the in the gh and transplant outside in spring. they germinate quite easily for me. i cover with i/4th inch of potting mix and keep moist and they usually sprout in about 2 to 3 weeks,

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've done butterfly bush.The seeds need to be stratified(cold chilled)

I take a tray and put fine milled seed starting mix in,slightly damp.Sprinkle seeds on top and lightly press in.Do not cover.

I then cover the tray and write on top..."These are NOT brownies! Do not eat!"

Put in the fridge for 4 weeks.After the 4 weeks,remove and give light and warmth.Treat like any other seed sown indoors.When they germinate the plants will be so tiny,they'll look like mold.

It is much faster to do soft wood cuttings from both of these. This time of the year they will root in about 3 wks.
Take your cuttings from the section below the new green growth. Cut the green tip off, find your first leaf node with two leaves, if there are more pull them off. Next go down your cutting and remove two sets of nodes and pull the leaves off of them, dip the stem in rootone and place the stem in a small cell filled with potting soil,(1-3") in diameter and (1-2") deep. Keep moist and in semi-shade until you see new growth. Leave in the cell for another week or two until you can carefully pull the plug out to see the the roots have penitrated to the edges. Once they have you can bump it up to a 4" and wait for the roots to do the same thing in it. Finally, go to a 1 gallon and wait for the roots to reach the edges, once there you can plant it in the ground. Good luck! FYI.. in propogating you have to have a little green leaf for the plant to make food,if the leaves are to large (say 2-3") you will need to cut them in half for the root system to develop.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.