Urn planters

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I love all those urn planters that are cement. I would love to have a few but no way could I afford the cost of these lovelies. So I saw a nice shaped plastic ones at Lowe's for about $3. I then found that paint that you spray on and looks like stone. I thought this might work without all the added weight of cement. I want to plant various patio planters with various things for my DD's wedding in June. Her color is red. Anybody have any suggestions for container ideas in the red and white color scheme?

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Joann, why don't you just try planting a Scentimental rose in some of the urns..this little plant is a delight and oh so striking...maybe with some white trailing bacopa around the base..just a thought! good luck...Elaine

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

More for red might be zinnias, Profusion Red or Red spider come to mind. Coleus, begonias, snapdragons, cuphea, dahlias, impatiens, nicotiana (Niki Red is a nice one)... maybe even some ornamental peppers or red fountain grass.

Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

What about some red salvias, red pentas, white pentas, red begonias, white begonias, white marigolds, snapdragons, verbena for a trailer, ummm can think of more if you'd like I'm sure hahha

Katrina

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I never see the pentas here, I did order some seed from Burpee but you never see them here where I am. I love some of the trailing verbenas. And I think there is a red million bells coming out this spring. I like the idea of a small rose and some trailing things.

Maybe a miniature rose and some trailing white/red verbena depending on which color rose you go with. I have not noticed the pentas seeding... I have some red here and could probably get you cuttings in a couple months (they are babies right now) let me know if ya need them :) They are tall ones they get about 2' or more :)

Katrina

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Katrina, it would be fun to try some pentas, I have only seen them once otherwise it is pictures. Joann

As of right now all I have are red, but I am starting my own nursery and if all goes well and they sell good I will get other colors so please keep me in mind when in warms up my mind is so forgetful here lately with so much going on!

Katrina

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

The red would be fine, I too am working on a nursery, I have got some cuttings going and next month I have 3 kinds of plugs coming in besides the various things I will start from seed. We also have got about 100 varieties of dahlias. We are out here on the farm and always looking for diversification. Our main crop is berries and Christmas trees.What are you hoping to focus on in your nursery?

Well I have just finished potting up a tray each of the red pentas, yellow new gold lantana, mini rose nu gold, coleus sun mix, coleus cranberry salad, mexican heather purple, and blue daze. Coming in this week sometime I have Begonia Coctail mix (red leaf begonia), Dusty miller silverdust, impatients accent red, impatiens accent white, impetients super elfin lavender, and rudbeckia indian summer. Then the following week I have marigold hero yellow, salvia victory blue, torenia clown burgundy, Vinca Pacifica red, zinnia dreamland mix, and salvia vista red.... All of the last 2 groups I am getting in 128 cell tray packs excpet for the torenia and zinnia which are in 288 cell packs. As far as the growing end goes, I am sticking to the annuals and perennials. However I have a few nurseries who are going to let me cosign (lower budget start-up!) some small flowering trees, shrubs, and palms. Plus more. There are soo many wanting to get their material out and willing to leave it and no payment until it sells! I also am hoping by spring to have a few clay pots and some birdbaths to choose from. Then right before we open I am going to a wholesale warehouse close to us hoping to find some little knick knack things, garden tools, windsocks, things like that. I am also going to a trade show or 2 in february so if there are some plugs that were display items sometimes you can get them cheap (I have gotten foxtail fern, house plants, and much more from these shows for 5.00 a tray!!) so who knows what I might end up doing. I am however doing this on weekends only as of the moment. Even when we open I will have someone else working for me for commission only because I can't afford to try to stand on my own two legs with the nrusery just yet, but after we open who knows hahah I am going to have a storefront (sell from the nursery) plug go to 1 or 2 farmers markets every weekend.... WOOHHH that was a breath sorry for rambling, let me know more about what you're doing would love to hear it :)

Katrina

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 11)

I am in Las Vegas, Nevada. The soil is P-O-O-R! I am now attempting container gardening. Will Night-Blooming Jasmine and Bougainvillas work?

Thank you!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

plantsdirect, I am curious if the red pentas germinated for you? If so, what conditions did you give it? Thanks, Sherri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.