Long Leggedy Beasties??

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Taken during a roadside stop in central Florida...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Can anyone ID this...it is a spider isn't it? No evidence of a web and I never saw his backside to see if it had spinnerets.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Isn't that a daddy long legs? That's what we call them around here. There's a little myth about them... if you squish one it's supposed to rain. As a little kid you don't want rain... last summer I would have been squishing them left and right.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL and we'd have been taking care of them! Thanks Sue, here's what I found:
This Daddy long legs, also known as the Brown Harvestman isn't a spider at all, but IS related to spiders. Also related are scorpions, ticks, centipedes, mites, etc. Daddy long legs, are perfectly harmless, have small egg-shaped bodies and very long, slender legs which tend to come off easily, so beware of picking them up.
There are two distinct differences in the DDL and spiders. First, unlike the spider which has 2 distinct body parts, DLL has only one. Second, spiders have eight eyes while DLL has only two.
I found several good identifying pics via Google but none gave me anything but common names

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

It does look like a long legged tick!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

That's *exactly* what it looks like Weeds!! Ewwww!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I didn't realize they weren't actually spiders. We have lots of them here. DH swears they bite.... but I don't believe it.... he's spider paranoid. Thier legs do come off easy. And the leg will twitch around on the ground for a while after it's detached from the body. I know ... **GROSS**!! It didn't take much to amuse us kids growing up in Maine ;o)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I read these don't sting or have venom. I have a brother in law that is terrified of snakes, he pales at the thought. My brother was helping him in the garden one summer and caught a tiny snake. He flipped it at BIL who took to his bed for the afternoon. Phobias sure are funny things

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We have oodles of them here in Ohio, too. Those twitching dismembered legs do gross me out!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I just noticed...this guy only has 5 legs...
5 of 6 or 5 of 8??!!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Well, that is certainly interesting...but take a look here:

http://interactive2.usgs.gov/learningweb/teachers/explorecaves_animals.htm

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

5 of 8 then? He (it) was moving pretty well considering!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Are they all males? Daddy long legs, never heard of mommy long legs, have you?

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I think the "Daddy" part comes from the expression, Big Mack Daddy of a spider. Y'all have heard that, right? LOL! Yes, that's a daddy long legs. Not a true spider. More venomous than many other critters in the world but his fangs aren't big enough to penetrate human skin. I used to catch these guys when I was a kid and let them run around on my hands and arms. Not sure I'd do that now. I really have become bug-averse as I've had to deal with palmetto bugs/cockroaches. Never did care for grasshoppers or other spiders, either. But they all serve a purpose on earth or they wouldn't still be here. As long as they don't come into my house or eat/destroy certain plants, I let them alone to do their insect things.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

What does his venom kill?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Weeds, His first name is Joe (or Bill or Dan)...he's Joe Daddy Long Legs or Daddy Daddy Long Legs...his wife is Betty (or Elsie or Patti) Daddy Long Legs or Mommy Daddy Long Legs hehe Got all that??
So BG what DOES this guy (?) eat...small bugs? I don't mind most bugs and so far so good on the cockroaches. I don't even want to imagine what the last owners used to keep them out...I'd probably be really upset...but it has worked

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

ButterflyGardnr, the idea that these are highly venomous is a myth that's been going around for a while. Take a look:
http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.