Garden Spider Habitat

Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

Last summer, I found the most beautiful garden spider in one of my beds. She was large with a yellow body and black markings and had woven a large web in a patch of Rudbeckia. She suddenly disappeared one day. Is there a way to encourage other spiders to come into my garden? I have been organically gardening for years and this is the first one I have spotted. Thank you!

This message was edited Monday, Jan 20th 3:03 PM

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Welcome to Dave's Garden! You'll love it here!!
Was it one of these spiders?

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Or maybe one of these?? I just love these big spiders. I sure hope someone comes by to answer your question, I'd love to know too. DG member Arlene has lots of these, she'll drop by one of these days...at least one of these pics were taken in her garden. Amaryllisgal knows lots about spiders too!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

Thank you for posting those beautiful pics! The spider did look like the 2nd pic but I don't remember her legs being that long. She was a brilliant yellow. During the season, I have lots of other garden spiders (most of them living in upturned terracota pots I have put out) but that was the first yellow one! Hope someone has some hints for luring more into the garden!
Rudbeckia

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Now that's a spider! I sure have a lot of webs so I know those spiders are somewhere.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We have little green ones with a red mark on their bellies...in every nook and crevice. I like the Lynx spiders too, they're fun to try to spot in the flowers. The hairy legs are a giveaway! http://davesgarden.com/t/332550/

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

What are the ones that spin their web to your car door? Would that be the automotus?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

ROFL!!

Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

The spiders in Florida are incredible. I lived down in the Keys for a short while and the spiders I did see there were incredible. The ones we seem to have up here in New Hampshire are a little smaller and usually not so brilliantly colored but, then again, I could just be looking in the wrong spots!

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Rudbeckia, I've never needed to look for tips on attracting spiders since we have so many around here! Just the fact that you're an organic gardener is a definite plus since there will be plenty of food (bugs) available to any spider passing by.

Floridian, here's an orchard spider for you (I couldn't resist!)

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Great picture!! Is this the little green one that is found in pots and corners. I learned quickly to watch for these before I put my hand in any container.

Where is the thread that you had all those great spider shots?...you should bring that one back up!!

This message was edited Monday, Jan 27th 8:52 AM

Greenview, MO(Zone 5b)

If the spider you are talking about has a web that looks like a Jacob's ladder in the middle, this in one unique little guy!!! They build beautiful webs and you can feed them and entertain yourself by putting live flies and other live insects in their webs. In summer, we have a lot of these.

Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

More spider pics please! They are absolutely beautiful to look at! I will try to locate the pics I took of my spider...and then I will have to go to FAQ to figure out how to post!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Janni, Welcome to DG! Feeding your pet spiders seems like a fun way to spend an afternoon!! LOL
Simple to add pictures Rudbeckia, just like putting them into your emails - see the browse button just below on the reply or message box? That opens just like an email file insert. Follow it through, hit preview to check it and voila!!

Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

Floridian..thank you! Now where do I stick the actual photographs! LOL! I will post some of the spider as soon as I can.. I also have pics of honeybees and other assorted wildlife that I would like to post at some point..can't wait to get my digital camera!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Can't wait to see Floridian's answer to that one!!!!

Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

Weeds...answer to where to put the photograph or the digital camera part? LOL!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

HA, the photo!

Dover, NH(Zone 5a)

Weeds, you have no idea how computer inept I am! Could have been worse...I could have asked where do I insert the live spider into the computer? LOL :)

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.