amaryllis won't bloom

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi, I'm wondering why my amaryllis won't bloom. I have four of them, and three of them gave out some absolutely gorgeous flowers. But the fourth has some nice long leaves but no stem or flowers. I've watered and fed all of them exactly the same. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Genevieve

Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

Did you buy these in boxes at the store? I bought some on clearance and some of then had already bloomed in the box i noticed and they had cut the stems off. Other than that, I wouldn't have any clue why it wouldn't bloom. There still might be hope though, howlong have they been planted?

Katrina

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Make sure the pot isn't much larger than the bulb. For some reason they won't bloom if they're in a large pot.
I have one thats 3 years old thats just ready to bloom any time now.

Paul

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

How deep did you plant the bulb? They must be sticking most of the way out of the ground. This is how I keep mine.
In spring after frost is past, I plant them in my veg. garden. Dig them around Labor Day, let them lay in the sun to dry for a few days. Then I put them in our shed upstairs until it starts to freeze every night. Bring them in, pot them up, stick them in a dark room, covered with plastic.
The plastic is just loosely laid over them. Bring them up and water when you see growth.
Right now I have 7 stalks emerging, one in full bloom. Two flower stalks are emerging from bulb.
Maxine

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

All 4 of them have been planted for a few months now. The one that won't bloom has got 4 leaves coming out that are about 3 feet long, but no flower stem. The top 3rd of the bulb is sticking out of the pot. It's in a nice tight pot, so it's pretty cozy. The other 3 bulbs all flowered just beautifully about a month ago, but all this one wants to do is shoot out leaves. I purchased them from open stock at a very reputable greenhouse about 1/2 mile from where I live.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jan 21st 11:13 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.