Baby Woodpeckers??

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

I have 5 bluebird houses. The first year I put one up there were babies. Last year and this the red bellied woodpeckers have been working to enlarge the holes. For the past week one very industrious rbw has been working on one particular house. It's been such fun watching...peck,peck..enter..exit..survey handiwork..peck some more..enter,exit,peck. You get the idea. I guess baby rbws are better then no babies,but the bluebirds are back so I hope for hatching bbs as well. We shall see.....

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Do your woodpeckers predate the young of other birds as ours do?
I expect so, but they all need to live!

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

No sure,philomel. This morning a chickadee was checking out the same house. Perhaps I should take reservations?

LOL :)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Woodpecker chicks would be cool! For your other houses, why not try some of those tube extensions for the door holes? That should thwart would-be predators and keep the holes the right size for your little songbirds.

Good idea gw

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

A good idea gw,but Bill went "dumpster diving" at work the other day and brought home some decent wood so we plan to build a few new houses. Hey...I'll take whatever babies I can get. With all the food I put out the cardinal population has increased dramatically. Some evenings I stop counting at 3 doz. :-)))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.