Ideas for upright flowers to bloom around Mother's Day?

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Okay, I know this is kind of a weird thread title so here's what I'm doing. I volunteer in the elementary school and each month I present the work of an artist in history. I try to make this really fun and interesting to keep the kids involved and learning.

This month is "Cave Art". I thought it would be neat to have the children do Cave Art drawings on some type of ceramic pot. Then, I could bring them home and plant something in them in time for something to bloom around Mother's Day. I need an upright flower so that the children's art on the pot is not hidden by a vine type of flower.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, any ideas on the best type of pot to use? Should I spray paint the pots before they do their work? Any and all ideas are appreciated since I'm just brainstorming this one.

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!