Butterfly

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm not sure if this qualifies as "wildlife".

At Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, in Canada, there is a lovely butterfly house at their botanical garden. Tropical butterflies are incubated throughout the year and fly freely in the enclosed environment you walk through.

My wife and I went to the butterfly house on New Years Eve. That's when I snapped this photo. I don't know a thing about butterflies. The one in the picture is approximately life size.

Adam.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

There it is. Also, is is about 50% larger than life size as posted. i need to learn a little more about how images scan and then appear on the screen. Time for me to hang out in the Computers Forum ;~)

This message was edited Thursday, Jan 16th 12:58 PM

This message was edited Thursday, Jan 16th 1:00 PM

Thumbnail by Aotearoa
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

That's beautiful! Waiting for someone to come by and tell us what kind it is. By the way...there is a Butterflies and Hummers forum, but this is fine too!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Hmmm...The closest I have come up with so far is this Red-Spotted Purple: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/lepid/bflyusa/usa/25.htm

But that's not it. MIght be a member of the Brush-footed butterfly family. Could also be a member of the Swallowtail family.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.