Travelers Palm (Ravenala madagascariensis)

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic December 2002

Common name: Travelers Palm
Family: Strelitziaceae
Genus: Ravenala
Species madagascariensis

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2068/

Thumbnail by haighr

Wow, it sure is HOT, could you fan me please!
If this is the Strelitzia family, I can't believe it's related to the Bird-of-Paradise! I've never seen anything like this before! Did you take this photo yourself?
Kizzy

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

this is so great. I have never seen anything like this. and who says nature does not have a sense of humor. Where was this picture taken if I might ask? thanks

Bowie, AZ(Zone 8B)

So interesting and unusual. Thanks for posting this!!..Frances

Gonzales, LA(Zone 9a)

this palm is just out of this world beautiful. I'm surprised we don't see this one in Fla. If it would grow in La. I'd have to have one if I could get ahold of one. I love it....dayflower

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I took the pic in front of our hotel on Christmas day in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I posted one or two others with Santa's sleigh out front. We spent the holidays there, wonderful 85 degrees every day. Unfortunately, the tan is now fading back here in the teens and snow LOL!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I agree, haighr. These are amazing palms. They look so neat in their habit. I wonder if they are the result of careful trimming or training as they grow.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

Extra~ordinary.

Thank you.

Adam.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, the fauna of this world is simply amazing.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

As I think about this did I mean to say flora?

Sarasota, FL

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is not a true palm (ARECACEAE).

Port Charlotte, FL

crazy beautiful-where can i buy one in southwest florida? is it fast growing?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4334104029&category=43553

I see one on ebay at the above link. These pics above were taken in the DR - Punta Cana.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Just beautiful! Annie

Jinju, South Korea

Thanks so much for this photo.
I found one of the marvelous plants in the world when I visited singapore last month. I asked many peoples the name of this plant but failed to
get the correct name. I surprised one more time to know that the name is traveler's palm. This plant might attract the traveler's interesting only other than resident.

Naples, FL

Here is a picture of a young travelers palm in a wall mart plant nursury.

Thumbnail by drummerguy
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

We planted 2 Travelers Palms back to back. Leaves shread some with the wind. I cut the suckers off and also the leaves that keep it from looking like a fan. Anyone else grow 2 like this?
Any ideas?

Thumbnail by condoking
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

My travelers palms are 2 planted back to back. Still a baby without a base yet. Leaves starting to shread a lot and die. What should I do?

Thumbnail by condoking

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.