ricin?how toxic?

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi all, I'm a bit concerned about the news surrounding the castor oil plant. i knew these were toxic plants, but have never really concerned myself too much over them. After seeing the news recently, and realising just how toxic this stuff was, should I be worried.I'm not sure if to be affected by this ricin in it's deadly form, is it a doctored version, or is it toxins straight from the sap? If you were to handle the plant with a cut or wound, would that affect you?I hope someone out there has the 'knowledge' as I grow and plant quite a few of these, and give loads away too,I don't want MI5 knocking on my door.i see on last night that 2 people from Dorset have been arrested with connection to it!!! :-) Not me, honest gov!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Hi sueone - I found this on the web, think it answers many of your questions :)
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/ricin/ricin.html

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Philomel, thanks for that. I never usually get too concerned about toxic plants, as my children were always bought up tp respect plants, and that some can be poisonous.Mind you ,last year I had to take Jazzy to the docs,as she had come up with big blisters on her face, it turned out that her and her friend had got sap from a euphobia on herself!Using it as a cleansing lotion !!!!Her friend was o.k. ,but Jazz I think had got more on her,or had stayed out more in the sun-light.Lessom learnt I hope!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.