Cherokee Purple

Ivinghoe Beds, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Phred, I wouldn't worry too much about nitrogen excess in your tomatoes eg. from manure. A friend once grew tomatoes in hot manure (not even aged) and had a bumber crop, without nitrogen burn.

I suspect that any variety would respond well.

Folk who laboured at sewage farms in the UK once made a good side income selling tomato plants that had germinated in the sewage. Needless to say, this practice has since been discontinued by Authority...

St. Petersburg, FL(Zone 10b)

This has been an interesting reading that spans 9 months.

I only had BER one time. And I believe that was do to the heavy rains that year.

I'm just a city gardner. I grow organic only. Kicked the chemical habit 14 years ago. I make my own Growth Containers. Some up to 8 feet long. Those are not just self watering (reservoir) they are also self filling.

I mix my own soilless soil, and my own fertilizer. I believe in Fish and Seaweed extract. I have a composter that saves the compost tea that is created. Sometimes I will grind up an oily fish put it in pant hose and soak it in water along with some compost. This tea is excellent as a spray and as a boost to the water. I seed the boarder of my garden in wildflowers. That brings the type is wasps that help to control the worms.

Frankly, after years of growing this way I seldom have a problem with my plants. I am moving more toward fruits. Blackberry, fig, pineapples, grapes etc. Again all growing in my containers.

Anyone here organic?
Olds

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.