Sn-sn-sn-sn...

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

SNAKE!!!! Imagine our surprise to walk out our front door and see this guy coming out of the pillar of our front porch. He's a beautiful pumpkin-orange color, with rusty red markings. We found out it's called a Red Rat Snake or Corn Snake. I don't know what he was hunting up there, but I sure hope it wasn't rats! We'd had several nests in the pillar which we killed and then sealed it all off. This guy was pretty little yet. About 1 inch thick and maybe 3 feet long from head to tail. Really a pretty little snake. Haven't seen him except that one time.

Thumbnail by ButterflyGardnr
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a picture of the whole snake. He came out of the hole while we stood there taking flash pictures of him. I was surprised he didn't turn around and go back in the hole.

Thumbnail by ButterflyGardnr
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Yikes, that gives me the hibbie gibbies! Matches the wall almost.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

What a great picture...to catch the snake coming down the bricks like that!! They are amazing!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I hear you there weeds! I don't care much for snakes, but this little guy is harmless. He eats frogs, rats, mice, and probably lizards, too. Just a little bit of a shock to walk out there and have him staring you in the eyes.

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Cornsnakes are beautiful. I have seen one 5 foot long one on my property. I wish I had more of those rather than my Timber rattlesnakes.
Your snake was probably thinking the nests were still there and was coming back for lunch.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh, boy. I'd definitely want to trade cornsnakes for rattlers ANYDAY!!! I don't blame you one bit there, PL!

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

A coral snake managed to get into our screen room..it was beautiful,but is even prettier in a jar of alcohol. 2 or 3 summers ago I was enjoying a beer while watching the birds on the back patio. Without looking I reached out for the bottle when a little voice said look first...a small black snake was curled around my beer. What a shock...don't know which one of us was more surprised!! LOL

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Close encounters with the snake kind. I prefer to see snakes from a little distance. The poisonous ones I can really do without. Coral snakes are beautiful critters, but they are deadly. Especially for little kids.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.